Developing Problem? Jumping/loss Of Power

Brendon1977

Question

Hi, just wondered if I could get some advice/thoughts for my Delta (2012 1.6 Multijet SR)  Please forgive me as I’m no mechanic so my description may be a little basic…

Ive noticed that under normal acceleration she sometimes ‘jumps’, there’s a loss of power for a split second  at around 2000-2500 revs, normally in 2nd or 3rd  gear, when its happened with the window open Ive noticed the car makes a noise which sounds a bit like a mechanical cough of air. Ive also noticed that the rev counter doesn't drop down just stays in the same position

At the moment it is periodic and seems to happen more when the car is warmed up, (it doesn’t happen under hard or gentle acceleration) it tends to happen about 1-2 times on a 20 miles (each way) commute, I wanted to let it develop a bit more before I took her to the garage so I could give them a definite description (plus my dealer is 30 miles away)  There are no faults coming up on the dashboard or lights and there appears to be no other running problems.

many thanks :-)

12 answers to this question

Hi Chris, I've had a look this evening, I think I've located it, and no it doesn't appear to be loose, I've checked the connectors etc. and all seem to be in order

I have checked my pipes today and the pipe going into my turbo is not off but it is lose, I can't pull it off but can move it side to side about 1cm.

But it looks like it has been like that for a bit as it has polished the metal on the connector on the turbo.

If that likely my problem, is yours the same?

Hi, just wondered if I could get some advice/thoughts for my Delta (2012 1.6 Multijet SR)  Please forgive me as I’m no mechanic so my description may be a little basic…

Ive noticed that under normal acceleration she sometimes ‘jumps’, there’s a loss of power for a split second  at around 2000-2500 revs, normally in 2nd or 3rd  gear, when its happened with the window open Ive noticed the car makes a noise which sounds a bit like a mechanical cough of air. Ive also noticed that the rev counter doesn't drop down just stays in the same position

At the moment it is periodic and seems to happen more when the car is warmed up, (it doesn’t happen under hard or gentle acceleration) it tends to happen about 1-2 times on a 20 miles (each way) commute, I wanted to let it develop a bit more before I took her to the garage so I could give them a definite description (plus my dealer is 30 miles away)  There are no faults coming up on the dashboard or lights and there appears to be no other running problems.

many thanks :-)

Disconnect the electrics your MAF (left of the turbo) and go for a short spin. I have tried this and the car worked great and seemed quicker and more responsive and the awful "darth vader" chatter off acceleration has gone. (further test to follow as I am going to leave it off for my home commute of 15 miles)

At least that has proven there is an issue.

It is now going in for an ERG clean and possible MAF replacement tomorrow.

Hi Newdelta...Thanks for the info..there was an extremely small bit of play in the pipe but put this down to the size and location ,oddly though it seems to of settled down and has only done it a few times since..although wonder if ive unintentionally adjusted it back into position by checking?..I will have another look though..could you let me know how you got on at the garage?..as im really not confident in disconnecting/connecting things in the engine..