Delta Automatic

stuartmunn

Question

Hi

I'm quite keen on the DELTA  I've owned a few Lancias in the past and will be looking for a newer car soon.

Has anyone got experience of the Automatic version?  I spend a lot of time crawling along in traffic so I'd like an auto box.

I've not managed to read any reviews of the auto-box.  Is the Limited version available as an auto ?

Regards

Stuart.

8 answers to this question

I haven't driven the automatic myself, but I think an automatic gearbox would fit a Delta. If the Limited is exactly the same as the Executive you can only get as a Twin Turbo or DiJet, the DiJet is only available as an automatic, no manual. The Twin Turbo is only manual, as the automatic probably wouldn't survive all the torque. 

I can only say positive things about the Delta. Mine has done 75000km in less than two years now, no surprises, just the regular oil/filter changes. This is a Twin Turbo, optimized by Squadra Tuning, delivering  ~230hp/450nm.

I think the limited and executive are same trim... I do fancy the 2.0 Diesel, but I'd rather have an automatic.  I've stopped  worrying about having fast cars as you cant really use the speed they are capable of at all.  I think in Norway you have even lower speed limits on your roads!

Still looking for a road test of an Auto Delta .. but seems no magazine has ever tested one.

Mind you most of what car journalists write is nonsense ... so I will find one and try one for myself I think. 

I think the same auto box (Aisan) was used in the Alfa 159?

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Stuart - Deltas' are a rare beast in the UK so finding an Auto let alone a Limited will be a trawl..................I've been told by a fellow Lancisti that they only sold about 40 Limited's here so best of luck finding one let alone in Auto form. There is one Auto on Autotrader at the moment but I think its SE spec. The engines/drivetrains are pretty much standard Fiat / Bravo units though so probably worth checking the Fiat Forum etc. for views..... cheers

Edited by Nello

Hi Nello

Yes I dont think any auto "limiteds" exist.

I would never have considered an auto a few years ago, but after having an auto S Type Jag I thought it superb.  I spend a lot of time crawling along in traffic in my commute to work. So it will make life much easier.  I see the one in autotrader  .. hoping to find one nearer Aberdeen to try first.

I've had a few Lancias,  A Delta, A Prisma, A Beta Saloon, a Y10 and best of all was my Montecarlo Spyder.

:)

Nice one Stuart  :)  I've had all sorts of old Italians including a Fulvia Coupe and Beta HPE. The Delta was a must as I knew I would be able to "correctly" badge it..............Its the family workhorse following a Sedici, Stilo and Brava...... Arnold Clark must be the dealer of choice for Fiats brands I would have thought north of the border. Hope you find something. A Monte is still on my 'to do' list! 

I've had to deal with a 'Chrysler' dealer as the Fiat dealer, of whom I purchased my car from, could not read the diagnostics computer 'do-dar' thingy.

Considering Fiat own Chrysler, you would expect them to do the read....

The Fiat dealer has run me ragged - I really object to buying something that had not been fully checked and serviced correctly. 

How can you service a 'new car - aka 2012' without being able to reset the computer device?

The Chrysler dealer has had me running round in hoops, two return journeys under warrantee of 25 miles a time.

And not a jot of diesel to top up the tank. Plus the 3 to 4 hours of drive, wait and return time....

Maybe they are all tarred with a similar brush - sell the product, get it out of the way, and hope that the new owner / second hand owner forgot how to complain?

Chris

Still looking for an A35 van .....

Chris - I'm not affiliated in any way but seeing as you are in the Midlands - I've used Paul Gilbert@Motor-Mech for years. Pauls based in central Birmingham (right under Moor St.) station beside the Bull Ring. Cannot reccomend him enough. Pauls looked after all my Italians for years and will be able to sort any probs with the Delta - he'll be looking after mine once its due its first service with me next year. He also has a full Diagnostic reader for the codes as the Deltas' system is straight out of the Bravo.

http://www.motor-mech.co.uk/

Thats his website - great bloke and a real Italian enthusiast. He can use all genuine parts as well to maintain any factory warranty you have.

Edited by Nello