Hazards Flash When Starting The Car

ametcalfe1989

Question

3 answers to this question

I think battery would be a good place to look, do you get 'dash sweep' when you first turn the ignition on too? If you have a multimeter check what voltage the battery reads without anything on, then turn on the lights and blowers (high loads) and see what voltage you see.

A good battery shouldn't vary too much under high loads, but a battery that is on it's way out will start to drop voltage quickly.

The 2-3 flashes of indicators to me sounds like immobiliser triggered though, as that's the normal de-activate flash they give. When you get in (before key in) is the red LED on the dashboard lit up/flashing? (If yours has it, it's behind the steering wheel sticking through the plastic, so it's a very obvious red LED). Normally this only lights up after I've done work on mine and had the battery disconnected. At first ignition back on it flashes the lights and the LED goes off, so 'disabling' the immobiliser and recognising things are happy again.

Low voltage may be causing this to trigger repeatedly.

Give the voltage tests a go and see how you get on before buying a new battery, remember there are lots of posts about batteries on here and the .com forum, they are a common weak point especially if you don't buy the right one!