Rear Light Problems

mrleeds6

Question

Hi , im Phil and new here. I have a problem with my 2003 grand voyager rear lights.

My brake lights work normally until i turn my headlights on. When i do turn my headlights on my rear lights dont light but the 3 brake lights come on  constant. 

The reverse lights and rear fog are not affected.

Also noticed the dashboard illumination of the lights switch area bottom right of steering wheel has gone out.

Is there a fuse/relay for the rear lights thats possibly blown?

looking forward to a fix.

Thanks in advance

11 answers to this question

Just got back from garage with the solution to post here. Yep single contact bulb where a double should have been. Changed it over a month ago.!!!!! Only just noticed problems when using lights. Bulb seemed to work fine when i changed as i checked without lights on.

Thanks everyone for your time and effort.  

Hi

Using the indicators has no effect, i have checked the rear bulbs and fuses and none have blown . The light switch seems fine cycle through sidelights/lights/front fog/rear fogs, The dash illumination behind the light switches has gone tho.

I mentioned that the brake lights work normally when lights are off...however i noticed that the front sidelights come on also when braking. The front fogs are also gone but ive not checked those bulbs yet.

maybe time for an auto electrician..

Bridging is at power side of bulbs and they use the same earth. So if lights are applied, power comes in side light contact and bridges too brake contact, hence lights put brakes lights on. Sounds silly, haven't heard of it before. As to different side light/brake light bulbs, is there, why is there.

With the Astra, I think it had a 2 filiment bulb, so 2 contacts on the bottom, a left and a right. Sidelight supplied a feed to one side/one filament, when you braked, it supplied the other filament.
I'd put a single filiment bulb in, which only had a centre contact. With side lights on, it would have lit both filaments as the centre contact would be touching both springs in the holder. When they were off, and you braked, it would also supply the feed to the tail light side, and bring on the front lights. 

(thats my theroy lol)

Edited by soupstone