Suspension Top Mount.

Berkswolf

Question

Hi guys, looks like the front nearside suspension top mount has failed on my 06 GV. It went pretty sudenly and without warning and It makes an horendous clunking on every bump or pothole in the road. Anyone else had this happen? Is it a big job to do? Best place for replacement mount? Any other advise?

TIA

7 answers to this question

Hi Berkswolf,

Yeah, it happened on me on my 04/05 2.8CRD, same thing pretty sudden (I was thrashing about the Yorkshire Dales though, on 20% gradients on hills, etc, on holiday at the time!)

As usual, I did a DIY, and posted it to my blog so have a read: http://www.thebmwz3.co.uk/2016/09/top-suspension-mount-replacement.html

The main things are to have some spring compressors (two sets I found were safest) and a tool that can reach down into the top mount bracket hole to tighten the new one in place.

Parts, I ordered from eurocarparts as usual as pricing and spot on part.

It's a tough job, I tacked it with my dad and luckily had things like cutting tools and other bits as you'll see we had trouble getting the large bolts off, which in the end we had to cut off and source replacements (Couldn't get like for like, so added similar)

Good luck and as always post back.

Cheers,

Andy