Rear Bench Seat - Cable Stretch

StokeMusicDude

Hi there . . . First post . . so please be gentle.

I recently got a 2004 Mark IV 3.3L Grand Voyager . . loads of seats and space for family stuff and music hobby. There of course a few niggly things to fix . . and here is the first.

The rear bench seat would not fold forward. Read and re-read the Owners Manual (not very clear) but could see that it certainly should fold forward to make more luggage room/flat(ish) surface in rear. Anyways . . crushed my spine with daughter this AM getting seat out as need to get a double bed frame and mattress in there tomorrow. I took both end panels off the rear seat and cleaned, oiled and greased all hinges/pivot points etc. I could see the release plate was not moving on one side. Sprung it with a flat screw driver and hey presto . . seat folds forward.

The reason it won't do this in situ is that the release cable that runs across the back of (and inside) the bench seat appears to have stretched. I cannot see any hex/lock nuts to tale up any cable stretch . . but can see about 1cm of free play in the cable at either end that's needs to be reduced for it to work. You would normally first release then pull cable through a pinch bolt until taught then re-tighten to take up the slack/stretch.  

I cannot see any way whatsoever to get this cable to work on both sides.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Despondent Dude

Hi Tomada

Thanks for the lightening speed response. I read other threads on this site which pretty much said the same thing. It's very difficult to figure out which seats from which year this fold forward feature was stopped. It's even more puzzling as to why it says they DO fold forward in the owners manual sold with the car and why on earth they wouldn't keep this feature if earlier models could do this!!! From my examinations earlier today, I can see that the cabling, pins, pivot plate and guide plate are all there, and I can even slip the lock lever with a flat head screwdriver.

As I said, the only thing that appears to be stopping the seat folding forward is the excess (about 10/12mm) play in the link cable. The rear seat is out for now till I've moved the double bed so I'll have another look around before I get to putting it all back in. I probably need 2/3 days spine stretching too before I go back there!!

I'm thinking of sourcing some small wire cable clamps (bulldog clips) and maybe trying them on one or both ends. It might be a simple solution to a silly situation, as it appears a few folk would like to be able to fold these rear seats forward. Bed mattresses, flat pack furniture, plaster board, flat boards etc spring to mind.

I'll let you know how I go on.

Cheers . . Bemused Dude