Voyager Se Touring Problem!

peedoff

Question

Hi all! A couple of days ago I purchased a 2007 voyager se touring. On the test drive everything was fine, but upon getting it home I've had problems starting it. One minute it starts fine the next nothing. All the dash lights come on but nothing happens engine wise. The strange thing being if you leave it a few hours it'll start. When running it's a perfect drive. Any help or ideas would be greatly recieved.

5 answers to this question

I wonder if it's something like a dodgy battery - or maybe a dodgy starter motor.  

If you have access to another vehicle and some jumper cables,hook them up next time you have the problem.

If it jump starts okay then I would think battery would be a good place to start.  If it doesn't start with the jump cables then it might be the starter motor.  Maybe - if you can get to it - give the starter a little tap and then see if it starts.

I have no doubt that others will have some good ideas for you to try.  Welcome to the forum! :-)

thanks for the replies. the dash lights dont dim and i am getting the click when i turn the key. the battery seems fine and holding its charge so im swaying towards the starter. just got to figure out now how to get the fuel cap off now as it doesn't want to come off. cheers again 

If you're getting the clicking then the solenoid is fine so should be starting. It's more likely to be battery even though it seems to hold a charge. If the lights dimmed then there is power going to the starter. What was the reading on the battery? It should be somewhere between 13.4 and 13.8 volts. Anything below 13.4 and the battery needs to be replaced or have a full recharge cycle that cleans the plates inside. If the car has only done short trips then the battery hasn't had a long enough charge. Drive it for at least half an hour on a motorway during the day and try not to use anything in the car that puts a drain on the battery. Radio is ok as the draw isn't much. It's a bit old school but I I've tried it and it works. I only drive 5 miles in the morning and then 5 miles home but on the weekend I drive about 65 miles in one to top the battery up. Hope this helps. The fuel cap! Turn the key clockwise to unlock then twist left then to lock twist right and turn the key anti clockwise.