How Much Antifreeze Do I Need

Deano1324

Question

13 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure you need the red stuff.

From the handbook - With "long life corrosion inhibitors (non HOAT - Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) 

Mine runs the red antifreeze from motor factors.

I run it at 50% comcentration, (also as book).

On the diesel fill it to the COLD mark.

My petrol 3.3 takes 15.4 litres!!!!! Including the rear heater matrix. Which I thought was rather a lot.

From completely drained  of course which we are not going to acheive.

The 2.5 diesel takes 13.8 litres.

Sorry my handbook doesn't cover the 2.8 diesel.

I'm sure you'll be starting an is it OAT or HOAT discussion on here as dote com forum recommends HOAT coolant due to the problem people are experiencing with overheating engines due to the sludge blocking radiators. This is for Diesels of course but on further investigation I found that cars were to use HOAT up to 2010 then afterwards use OAT after flushing system. So its a use what you want thingy, renew it after an advised time of say 3 years or you will overheat. I use HOAT but its my choice.

I'm sure you'll be starting an is it OAT or HOAT discussion on here as dote com forum recommends HOAT coolant due to the problem people are experiencing with overheating engines due to the sludge blocking radiators. This is for Diesels of course but on further investigation I found that cars were to use HOAT up to 2010 then afterwards use OAT after flushing system. So its a use what you want thingy, renew it after an advised time of say 3 years or you will overheat. I use HOAT but its my choice.

I'm answering the 2.8CRD question which is a totally different engine design to the 2.4. I use HOAT + distilled as you will know gordy - I've posted it often enough in this forum. I use HOAT in my 2.8 because that's what's recommended by the maker of the 2.8 CRD. What anyone else uses or recommends is their business, I certainly won't follow or take any advice from anyone but the makers of the engine. I've never heard of "dote com forum" Antifreeze, gearbox oil, engine oil, brake fluid etc are abused by most owners after the main stealers service ends, infrequently topped up and neglected, its hardly ever changed and given the essentials of new life. Therefore any car over 3 years old is always a suspect.

Take care gordy.

Knew it would happen...Sorry Captain...

Gordy, we both use HOAT, we are in coincidental agreement, not disagreement with each other. What is dote.com ? and what is Captain ?

Another couple of things worth knowing is when front flushing, or refilling to the correct level turn the heater full belt and the fan high to clear or or refill the matrix itself. Burping, leave the filler cap off or loose, get it to temp, it will burp itself.

Hi Andrips,

I changed the radiator on mine a while back (Videos on my youtube channel as usual) and yes I did a few flushes with water, but the trouble is you can't get a full drain/flush because of the aux heater and other parts, so I just flushed through the inlet/outlets I could whilst radiator was off (top and bottom hoses).

Just looking back I bought two 5ltr bottles of antifreeze too and I only ended up using one and a bit bottles, showing it was nowhere near a full flush (even with an empty radiator, header and flush through the block)

Captain relates to Captain Chrysler who must be someone else. Dote.com relates to chryslerforum.com as other one to this and chryslerforum.co.uk as this one. Remember getting belt at School for getting things like this wrong. Got a School picture if you want to see it.

You are correct sir, the compliment of the nym and the picture was not my choice but a fellow forum member AlanC who kept posting it so I changed my pic but not my nym for AlanC who is a good bloke. 

http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/avatars/qinteq-24658.gif?dateline=1433616481

QinteQ, did you flushed the system with water? How much antifreeze do I need?

I have bought 2x5 litres ready mixed comma g05, I'm not sure now if that's will be enough.

I did it [lazy] old school :

- hose in header tank

- 1/2 pulled off bottom hose

- matched out [of bottom hose] to in [at header tank] flow

- started the car to fully flush heater matrix

- switched the car engine off

- let it run till it was totally clear

You will see the return water from the whole cycle come squirting into the header tank from its internal entry. There was loads of gunge. I used the x5 of GO-5 and the x5 of distilled for a quid, it may have been a pint or so short but that's still well protected, Cars give you what you give them and we will agree this stuff is hardly ever done properly regardless of who we pay - do it yourself and you know its right. Have a quick check of the level the next morning and look under the car for damp patch. Best of luck.