Auto Gear Box Issue

Carlby

Question

HELP.....

I am not very mechanical, so if you can help please keep it simple for me.

The issue has gradually got worse, it start about a month ago.

I notice that when I started my Voyager up, on the dash all the gears had boxes around. This happened every now and again and I thought may be I had not fully engaged the column shift in to the correct gear.

Shortly after as I was driving in "D" it suddenly changed itself to "L" (the column shift was not moved) and then jumped back to "D" this has happened a number of times now :(.

I had the gear box oil & filter changed as I did not know when it was last done and thought it may help.

But gradually it has got worse to the extent that every time I start the Voyager all the Gears are always got boxes around when the car is in "P". I move through all the gears and when it is in "P", "N" (some time this clears it, but less so lately  ) all the gears show boxes also sometimes "3" & "L" do as well.

As I have electric doors and boot, it means I can not open them while the ignition is on as it does not appear to know it is in park.

Can anyone help ?? or know what I can look at/ check before taking it to a garage ??

Looking forward to any assistance you can offer

Carlby

11 answers to this question

My LX without the electric doors / boot had a similar problem, and ultimately would only drive forward in 2nd, no shifting.

Changed the TCM, and PCM, checked out all wires, and never sorted it.

Basically the cars stuffed as the engine light is now on due to potential emission problems.

So good luck!!

I will be watching this line - it may help me fix mine which is sat at the bottom of the garden!!!!!

I'm not an expert here but this sounds like the automatic transmission solenoid perhaps needing replacement. Do a search on here and the other chrysler GV forums as you'll find when these things get stuck in the physical gears and won't shift into the others it's down to the solenoids needing replaced.

Also are you getting any fault codes?

Edited by andyb2000

I'm not an expert here but this sounds like the automatic transmission solenoid perhaps needing replacement. Do a search on here and the other chrysler GV forums as you'll find when these things get stuck in the physical gears and won't shift into the others it's down to the solenoids needing replaced.

Hi,

It's not "stuck" in a gear, I can select Drive (but when in drive it sometimes jump down to "L")  and Reverse , just cant select Neutral or Park (according to the dashboard, but it is Park when "P" is selected as in the car wont move ???)

Its very confusing:(

I will look around more but not very good at looking around forums etc (not very good on internet)

Cheers

Hi,

It's not "stuck" in a gear, I can select Drive (but when in drive it sometimes jump down to "L")  and Reverse , just cant select Neutral or Park (according to the dashboard, but it is Park when "P" is selected as in the car wont move ???)

Its very confusing:(

I will look around more but not very good at looking around forums etc (not very good on internet)

Cheers

The fail code P0487 ????

My LX without the electric doors / boot had a similar problem, and ultimately would only drive forward in 2nd, no shifting.

Changed the TCM, and PCM, checked out all wires, and never sorted it.

Basically the cars stuffed as the engine light is now on due to potential emission problems.

So good luck!!

I will be watching this line - it may help me fix mine which is sat at the bottom of the garden!!!!!

What is TCM and PCM ?

Where are they and how can I check them ??

Hiya, sorry mate -

TCM is Transmission Control Module, controls the gear shifts up down etc. Except reverse, park, and second, which are manually selected when you move the shift lever. If you remove the TCM they still work. Yes they do I did it.

PCM is Power Control Module

On a petrol 3.3 they TCM is under the passenger wing, and the PCM is in front of the battery.

And sadly basically you can't check them.

My extreme frustration with mine is I've been fixing motorcycles and cars for 35 years and this little poo has beat me - not a happy bunny about it.

The problem with mine, and possibly starting with yours, is when all the gear light squares are on it means the car (PCM and ECU) doesn't know where the gear lever is, "no communication from TCM to PCM" was the fault on mine, yet all wires appear to be ok - obviously something isn't!!!!!!!!!

And a replacement TCM made no difference - they do not need coding in to the car, see the American mini van sites and Utube vids. Checked lots of wiring under the car in teh loom, apparently a common problem, nothing found.

A very good mate of mine has a very good scanner but it see's sod all on it.

If you do a "key dance" on/off 3 times (not starting it - just to ignition position) then leave in ignition position, the mileometer will cycle through some codes - have a pen ready - then go to "done" when finished. Mine was P01698.

I'm getting fault code P0487 ??

What other forums are there ?

My issue is getting worse :(

When I'm driving the gears on the dash jump around from "D" to "3" and "L" and then the actual gears jump between "D" and "L" (when the revs suddenly pick up and then it changes back again...)

Hiya, sorry mate -

TCM is Transmission Control Module, controls the gear shifts up down etc. Except reverse, park, and second, which are manually selected when you move the shift lever. If you remove the TCM they still work. Yes they do I did it.

PCM is Power Control Module

On a petrol 3.3 they TCM is under the passenger wing, and the PCM is in front of the battery.

And sadly basically you can't check them.

My extreme frustration with mine is I've been fixing motorcycles and cars for 35 years and this little poo has beat me - not a happy bunny about it.

The problem with mine, and possibly starting with yours, is when all the gear light squares are on it means the car (PCM and ECU) doesn't know where the gear lever is, "no communication from TCM to PCM" was the fault on mine, yet all wires appear to be ok - obviously something isn't!!!!!!!!!

And a replacement TCM made no difference - they do not need coding in to the car, see the American mini van sites and Utube vids. Checked lots of wiring under the car in teh loom, apparently a common problem, nothing found.

A very good mate of mine has a very good scanner but it see's sod all on it.

If you do a "key dance" on/off 3 times (not starting it - just to ignition position) then leave in ignition position, the mileometer will cycle through some codes - have a pen ready - then go to "done" when finished. Mine was P01698.

Hi again,

The only fault code I get is P0487 ???

Where can I find a TCM and PCM ?? tried ebay but only hit was an American one.

Can you remember roughly how much they were (just to give me an idea) ?? and as mine is a 2007 2.8 diesel do I need to get one that matches ??

Sorry for so many questions but I am really feeling lost now :(

The petrol ones are much cheaper than the diesel units for some reason, I only gave around £20 / £30 for the 2 I got.

My guess is that it's not the TCM, but something else. That fault code is related to "exhaust gas recirculation throttle control circuit"

Mine no longer gives any fault codes, but doesn't change forward gears.

Hi all,

Update.....

I have taken my Voyager to an Auto electrician and he has given me some fault codes from the transmission.

So if any one can put them in to plain English for me and can tell me how to fix them I will be truly grateful.

Also can any one tell me where I can get a second hand TCM for a 2007 Diesel Grand Voyager or who may have one they can sell.

The codes are :

P0846 - 2-4 Pressure switch circuit ????

P0944 - Loss of Prime  ????

P0706 - Check shifter signal ???

The codes have been cleared, but the issue is still the same (on the dashboard - boxes around all the gear when in "P" or "N") but the codes did not come back (yet ??)

PLEASE HELP :unsure:

Many thanks in advance

Not sure what's been done here but you've certainly got a few circuits trying to engage. Sounds like you've got earthing wires. Have you checked the wiring from module in passenger side front wheel well to the main loom, as there's a known spot where it goes over the inner arch. Otherwise remove the module and check for moisture inside.