Grand Voyager Stalls At Low Speed In Drive Intermittently

steviec2000

Question

Hi, I have a petrol 3.3l 2005 Grand Voyager based in Yorkshire. Over the past month the car intermittently stalls when say slowing/stopping at a traffic light. It hasn't done it at speed just when slowing down when in drive, doesnt stall when I am parked up.i t is throwing up a p0171 error code (lean system).

The car has an LPG conversion, but it stalls only when driving on petrol and then intermittently (LPG on the telephone say its nothing to.do with them as it is happening only on petrol mode), I've also noticed it doesn't stall when cold, only my after I drive for a few minutes and the engine is warm.

When I have seen it stall the revs dip to around 500, then suddenly increase up and then the engine dies.

Has anyone any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

hi the code you have is fuel system too lean cylinder bank 1 had same problem on my 53 reg v6 

i changed lambda senser you have 2 on yours upstream and downstream the one at top of cat on manifold is upstream bank1 lower one that goes into cat bank 2

once i changed senser (got mine from chrysler dealer £122 )still had same problem after lots of diagnosis it turned out i had intermittant fault on one of wires 

mine was negative wire that comes out senser auto electrican ran buy pass from negative wire on senser to body work cured problem 

my symptoms were you drive along go to accerate then lose power for about 5 secs then fine fault was intermittant would not happen all the time 

your senser is pretty easy to replace open your bonnet look behind intake manifold and ontop of exhaust manifold you will see senser 

it has electrcial wire that can be fiddly to get to but if you get hold of senser end of wire (it has like a coil spring like wire around base)

follow that to connecter slide red clip backwards and pull connecter apart 

hopes this helps it increased my mpg by 6 mpg urban and 8 mpg on run 

yes was told it was senser but it was a wiring fault

it done me a favour as cos the car was running rich the senser was covered in black soot 

i had 3 diagnostics done 1 said wiring fault 2 said senser 

changed senser first didnt cure problem so took it to auto electrican 

took 2 hrs too find fault as it was intermittant 

it turned out too be intermittant fault with negative wire glad i got it done lucky enough the sparky i used were very helpful as cos i helped him strip out engine bay and battery he knocked an hour off my bill

hopes this helps

upstream senser