Key Fob & Key Info Please

magic

Question

Hi I have 2005 Grand Voyager with a five button fob as it has electric doors etc ( shaped like the key on my 300 without the blade). I want to know if it is possible to still get a fob as a spare from anywhere or is there another version that will work? Also are the keys chipped? I need a spare key too but have no idea if it is just a case of getting one cut or whether it would need programming too. Any advise would be great please

Mark

20 answers to this question

A good auto locksmith (not electricain) can program in a 2nd hand remote, I had one done, got it off ebay, and they should be able to cut a key with transponder and code it to the car as well.

They would need the pin number for the car to code in the remote, it's not the radio code.

There is a very good mobile guy near Manchester, but you don't say where you are

Yep, thats right, and don't be put off by "oh no it can't be done". A decent auto locksmith can and did do it. Once they had the pin number took about 10 minutes tops.

And my 2nd hand one works just fine on all functions.

My local shop-front auto locksmiths couldn't, they said it was a dealer only part and job.

In the same way that a tyre with a screw in the edge of the tread "can't be repaired" YES IT CAN. What they mean is we can't do it, because we don't have the ability to do a heat vulcanise repair. But most won't tell you the full detail and truth.

Edited by bignev

My MaxiDAS708 will code, my x431 will not, as nev says its not the person its the kit. Most mobile key techies use a keys only specific tool that does not do immobiliser, ECU and remote's. Just ask anyone you choose to use if they can do what you want them to do - and - if they won't charge you anything if they can't do the job you are paying for.

A good auto locksmith (not electricain) can program in a 2nd hand remote, I had one done, got it off ebay, and they should be able to cut a key with transponder and code it to the car as well.

They would need the pin number for the car to code in the remote, it's not the radio code.

There is a very good mobile guy near Manchester, but you don't say where you are

Sorry I am in Cornwall

Thanks for the comments. I can't find a five button fob at the moment only two button on eBay. Will the six button that was mentioned program to the earlier vehicles? I know I need to find someone with equipment but need a fob first.

Thanks

Just search "Chrysler 5 button remote fob", just found a few.

If you mean the panic button is the 6th one then yes - mine did!!

There is one from China at £9.83, inc postage!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Key-Fob-Head-Ignition-Keyless-Entry-Remote-6-Buttons-for-M3N5WY72XX-Chrysler-/231697139929?hash=item35f239c8d9:g:f4sAAOSw0HVWAT5L

Very long delivery time though!! But it has the key transponder in it too, and a blade that just need cutting.

I am that intrigued / impressed I just ordered one. As I have 2 keys it says I should be able to program it in - I will post it on here yay or nay when it arrives and I give it a try.

No EURO FOB has a sixth button. Look at your existing FOB already has the 6th  microswitch & membrane, it just does not have the 6th raised rubber button called 'panic'. Most 'suto-locksmiths will have a ready supply of stocks for this stuff, whether they go much farther back than a decade I've no idea.

see http://i.imgur.com/ihLpGZW.png

Chrysler and Dodge vehicles from the 2005 timeframe use a keyless entry system developed originally for the Mercedes brand. The system actually implements the driver convenience and safety functions, an immobilization function designed to prevent vehicle theft, and sets the alarm state off and on. Different buttons on the EURO FOB variously :

- lock and unlock all doors on the vehicle, or drivers door only
- one [not in the UK or Europe] is a panic button that can be pushed to sound an alarm
- one is power lift [boot] gate
- one each for both left & right motorised sliding doors

What the panic button does is allow a user to program up to 4 different transmitters, in order to do this the panic button needs to be used.

How the earlier than 2004 LOGIC behaves I've no idea !

Some several years ago I bought a 6 button case & blade from this bloke as an experiment on the 'panic' button programming. His Chrysler stuff is here. The pcb from our standard 5 button fob has the 6 button internals which are complete and do fit ok. 

The problem I had was that there is an internal [Cellophane like] 'conductive tracked membrane' for all 6 micro switches which corresponds to the 6th button which I can't seem get hold of in the UK. In conclusion the 6th button is on our fob's, the 6 button key can be bought for £4 above, the 'tracked membrane on our UK version is missing the track that connects the existing 6th micro-switch.

The 'locked' [to Chrysler] ID46 transponder chips are widely available, don't make the mistake of buying the commonly available peugeot one - they may be [locked] different. Regarding the 6 button FOB's, like yourself I have never managed to find one in the UK. I did find the 6 button Blank Blade Remote Key Case shells here in the UK. Your PCB will go straight into the FOB and the panic button will be in the correct place directly over the micro button but will still not work. What's missing is the etched (1) conductive membrane that goes between the (2) PCB and the (3) FOB shell to translate the KEYPRESS.

In short unless you can get the conductive membrane that goes between the PCB and the FOB shell you still cant make a keypress. The combination key & FOB with the 6th button can be had from America such as this one here

- I know that the existing UK FOB has all the 6 button microswitches, but only a 5 conductive tracked membrane
- I make the assumption that any 6 button FOB or keyFOB [remote head key] shell is just that a shell
- you can transfer the internals along with the 6 microswitched PCB a from 5 to 6 button FOB but only 5 buttons will work

What I have always assumed will work [forget the grey transponder key for the minute] is get a second hand complete with conductive tracked membrane fob from America ebay, then transfer your existing 6 button EURO PCB into the 6 button panic fob complete with its conductive tracked membrane and you have a working and programmable 6 button FOB. If you take apart your existing 5 button UK or EURO FOB you will find you have a complete 6 microswitched PCB with only 5 'traced' conductive tracked membrane. Programming is here.

The  '6 conductive tracked membrane' I mentioned along with the corresponding rubber buttons can be seen here. The membrane on its own is here. Here's a different shaped one for a Jeep. All Chrysler remotes 2/3/4/5/6 Button FCC ID:OHT692427AA work on 315mhz. Other 'panic button' related FOBS are here.

NOTE : SomeChinese sites calls it a plastic sheet, you can see the conductive tracking between the microswitch nodes.

- if the cars brain has been programmed with a country code - and it has !
- then the 'disallowed' customer preference can not be re-programmed from the FOB
- so telling the alarm to 'bleep' or seatbelt to 'chime' is only allowed if its allowable under the country code
- the country code can be re-set to any on of the 11 [i think] anytime, but you need a capable scanner to do that

Take for one example the 'beep on lock & unlock', this used to be a standard default in the UK and 99.9% of vehicles had it. At some point in the distant past the Euro government invented a law banning alarm beeps [noise pollution] on activation and de activation of the alarm feature on European imported vehicles, my understanding of the current laws is that the arm and disarm indication beeps is strictly forbidden in all EU countries.

What you would need to do is find out which countries did [for your car build year software version] allow 'beep on lock & unlock' and change the country code to that country, so for example if the US did allow 'beep on lock & unlock' you would use a capable scanner to change the country code to US then change the US miles to kilometres on the overhead display preferences. Your first question is - is it really worth all that trouble. Most indi garages here will do this change country protocol for £30UKP, ask your local indi's what they charge, tell them first its in the BCM section of the scanner, then under customer preferences.

Best of luck my friend. Hope this helps your understanding.

I have only 1 key and 2 fobs which don't work though they have same part number at the back

So if i buy this key off ebay which looks exactly like mine, will a locksmith be able to code it in?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-CHRYSLER-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-CRUISE-5-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-/141996763073?hash=item210faaa7c1:g:N9sAAOSwu1VW5Kiz

ooh not sure on that - I may have read somewhere (could be wrong) that once a key is registered it can't be used on another, no idea how that happens.

Oh hang on, just read "key" as you put, so the blade won't work in your locks of course, so it's no use.

However - an AUTO locksmith  - a good one - should be able to provide and cut the key / transponder anyhow. And help with the non working fobs too I should hope. It's not batteries is it? Only asking!

I paid £60 for a new key, which wasn't particularly cheap, and they struggled to cut the key, at our "shop front" guys, supplied and coded in.

Edited by bignev

Any ideas gents

- no mate

I admire your attempt to 'have a go'. I like you tried this many years ago [#9] for no reason other than curiosity .. .. as I already had x2 working keys and FOBS. The test is easy - (1) reveal the 6th 'panic' button {little microswitch, can be depressed] on your already coded key & FOB and you still won't be able to do it because the 'track' on the membrane is missing and (2) because for whatever reason the SKIM codes can't be read even with a good generalist diagnostic machine.

Believe it or not the panic button on my remote with the replacement case from China does work!!!!

I must have used the membrane from the new one as a happy strange thing, only discovered it when my girls got the keys and set it off!!!!

I'll dig out our spare remote for the battery and have a go for a laugh in the mext day or so.

Edited by bignev

In one word - no it doesn't work. Actually thats a few, hey.

But still ruddy cheap for a remote and transponder, it does have the membrane in it too.

So you would simply need the services and key cutting (not supply) abilitiy of the good old auto locksmith as we started with.

Cheers guys!

Edited by bignev