Clutch And Rear Crank Seal Replacement

VoyagerPig69

Question

Hi,

has anyone here attempted a clutch and rear crank seal replacement? looks like the seal has gone as seem to have oil dripping from to engine to trans plate.

Seen several three seal packs on EBay e.g. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRYSLER-VOYAGER-2-5-CRD-REAR-CRANKSHAFT-OIL-SEAL-KIT-GASKET-CHEROKEE-/320924245926?hash=item4ab8935fa6:m:mgNeumIfoyntl2yJE7PcM4w)

manual says you need a tool (VM1050) is it really needed? 

realise its half shafts out and drop the transaxle, the clutch isn't really the part that is the bother, more interested in the rear crank seal fitting.

Any advice?

TIA

2 answers to this question

Hi, I had this done twice on my 2001 CRD manual voyager. Didn't do it myself as I don't have the facility to manhandle the gearbox out, but I sourced all the parts for my mate who has a garage to do.

First time was at 100K miles, small drip & clutch was slipping slightly. Basically there's no need for any special tools, the flywheel bolts can be used to extract the oil seal(s)  Make sure you get the 3 part seal kit, not just the outer cover one... you definitely need the O rings.

Mine started to leak again at about 160K miles, worse than the original one did, replaced it again and also the clutch, the leak was fixed but the gearbox bearings failed about two months after, so I got rid of it.

It's a tricky little job, but once you have the gearbox out and flywheel off it's OK

Mat