Poor Fuel Economy 2.8Crd Auto

fossway

Question

Hi folks.

Recently purchased a 2.8CRD auto voyager 2008 reg , it only seems to doing 23-24 combined mpg

Previously I had a Grand Voyager 2.5 Manual which was doing 40+ mpg quite happily.

Is this usual , does the slightly bigger engine and auto box really use so much more fuel

Any thoughts?

12 answers to this question

Thoughts would be (1) an auto & manual can never be compared, (2) winter and summer can never be compared (3) diesel & petrol can never be compared, only like with like can be compared. My 2.8 auto [with Webasto] returns 33.0 MPG in the winter and 33.9 MPG in the summer. I would expect a 2.8 CRD to average about 5 MPG more than a 2.5 CRD. Most, other than eejits would never buy a people carrier unless its a necessity - I did, its not a necessity - and love it. My 4 gear 41TE average MPG on +5PSI tyres & 'winterised' seems to be a little higher than most I encounter on the forums for which I'm grateful, I have to add I'm not slow but neither do I drive like a headbanger on 'red bull', I'm always at the legal limits and all above 30 MPH is on 'cruise'. Best of luck.

Youch, 15mpg?!

As QinteQ says we don't buy these for their economy, but I manage 29.1mpg on mine (05 2.8CRD auto with webasto also), so I obviously need to improve somewhat to catch up with QinteQ!

Fossway, you'll probably find that improves as you get used to the car, the auto-box, etc. I always found when I started in a GV (This is my second) it was lousy until I got used to where the auto box would shift down, where it ran smoothly and efficiently, etc, so just keep paying attention to when it kicks down, etc, and you'll slowly improve I reckon.

Also, something that I think is affecting mine at the moment, I have a jammed open thermostat and a leaky radiator, currently causing the engine to run cold in our cold winter weather we're starting to get. The engine is a lot more inefficient in the cold (A 20-30 minute journey is only just creeping up to half way on the temperature indicator, and that's with the webasto doing it's thing) and so I expect this is probably causing a drop in my MPG also but haven't got round to fitting the second thermostat fix, and buying a new radiator.

Two quid radiator blank from screwfix, works ok, is reversible, not worth the toerags stealing them. It will more than half the warm up time and saves you MPG as well as heat. 10 minutes of your time with a kitchen knife is all it takes. Andy you already know how to do the £10 quid all in 'inline stat trick, 15 minutes of your time. Best of luck.

My 05 41TE gearbox 'learns'. If you bought it from a heavy footer you may be on his mixed driving style MPG. The much later ZF's do the same thing. The O/P's 08 will be a 6 speed 62TE which was basically the same as my 41TE with two new primary and and an extra secondary ratio for motorway highs and a lower 1st for acceleration. I don't know for a fact but I imagine the whole range from GEN 4 to now were / are on adaptive learning.

Our 3.3 auto 2005 has seen the heady heights of 24mpg on gas, on a VERY good run, 230 miles of steady eddie up to Scotland!

But usually 18 to 19 is good around town!

I normally pay 46p ltr in Stockport, but on the autogas site I see it can be a lot (percentage anyway) cheaper around the Midlands in particular.

However at 103.9 for petrol its the equivilent of 54 on a run or 40 round town - not so bad hey.

I should also say our 2002 on gas gets a whopping 15 to 16 ish round town - its very crap. But still cheap. Still nearly 34 equivilent. And has seen 24 on hols in North Wales.

Edited by bignev

Definitely not!!

Total bargain price that is.

The best I can do is when we need anything that Morrisons supermarkets sell gift vouchers for, including Amazon, Halfords, Currys and loads more, we can save a packet on the next fill up.

Just had to buy a new washing machine, got the cheapest deal from Currys, bought £230 gift vouchers. Had already spent £150 on Christmas presents at Toys R Us, so then saved 38p ltr on my next fuel up!! The downside is their gas price is 51p ltr at the moment. But paying 13p ltr made me smile a lot.