Rain Being Swept Onto Drivers Window From The Wipers

lovesmyvoyager

Question

anyone else having this problem?

when its raining and driving on the motorway or dual carriage way at speed - does any else suffer from the rain being swept along onto the drivers window blocking the viiew of the side mirror?

am sure i have seen a post about this somewhere.

i am thinking of getting the wind deflectors - would this help at all?

anything else i can do?

3 answers to this question

Same thing happens on my Delta, Bravo, Stilo .... and as far back as I can remember - not IIRC my Ford Cortinas.

If I run the Delta screen wash at the recommended strength I end up with 'white' streaks as well across both my near & offside drivers windows.

Wind deflectors look ugly in my opinion.

The problem is due to the 'efficient deflection of wind' around the laminate surface of the car.

i.e. the designers who have dialled in slippery-ness and thus increased the mpg.

Water will be drawn into the wind flow as it rushes over the laminate surface of the car.

Google 'laminate flow / smoke trials / testing'...

In the old days, drip rails, windows that were not as wind efficient, etc would have contributed more to non-laminate flow - i.e. the water being dispersed around the various surface around the car - even over it by encouraging turbulent flow.

Save the car from having wind deflectors, make the windows super clean - less water will then stick to them, and enjoy the peace & quiet.... Wind deflectors as per their name, deflect the wind - increase the inefficiency of distribution of the air, decrease the mpg and increase cockpit noise levels.

Penguin

Edited by Penguin2007

thanks Penguin for replying and writing such a lengthy response

i have never thought of wind deflectors as ugly. i have never ever had a car with them on and never bought a set myself so have no idea whether they are as you say they are. my partners dad has had them on his cars but i have never really noticed if there was any extra noise etc. 

so just make sure the windows are really clean and that will save the water running along the window blocking the mirror?

it was pretty bad this morning - 70mph on motorway and window was practically full of the rain being dragged along it. 

You could try a product called RainX (?) they use it on rally cars - similar products will be available. It puts a coating on the glass that decreases the surface tension on the window, and allows water to stream off. You wipe it onto a clean window after a car wash etc .....

I had a look at my windows at 70mph driving down the main drag M1 and A road home last night. Apart from the mud sprayed up by the road works around M1 / A14 junction, the majority of the a

water was pushed up and over the doors .... However, there was a significant amount of water that was dragged along under and just over the door mirror areas of both front window across most of the door glass.

I wonder if it helps having the side vents blowing on the windows on the inside?

I put some windscreen wash on, but as per usual it was washed off overnight at home.

My Dad had the perspex ear flaps on an old A35 van ... They made it look like Dumbo.

My sister often referred to going out in Dumbo, with Zep being the long distance car of choice, when all on board (5) a Ford Zephyr.

Regards

Penguin