2007 Grand Voyager LX 2.8 CRD Transmission issue

Kieran76

Hi all, I'm having some odd transmission problems. Was driving well even with a slight over heating issue, but that was kept under control by not letting get to hot, constantly stopping to let her cool down and change the water on occassion. This caused a lot of wetness under the bonnet, maybe its a clue to the issue or maybe not. But after stopping off for a coffee at the services, went to pull out of the car parking space and bang, no drive forward or backwards. All gear options seems to sound like the gears aren't engaging/disengaging fully. Had her towed back home and after a day started her up and now reverse is working. I have checked transmission fluid level, appears to be overfilled so will be removing some once my hand pump arrives. And afeter another day of standing and trying her, she appears to be trying to find some bite to the forward gears, and reverse works better than ever. Has anyone had something similar happen? Can too much transmission fluid cause these problems? Could the water during water changes which went everywhere cause this by splashing on something it shouldn't? Any ideas would be great and I will do what I can and update as I go along. Thanks in advance.

I think you have answered it yourself - water over electrics. Not at all good. Dry it and then move onward.

You hopefully know that the transmission fluid is checked with the engine running and hot?

Oh and post in the correct section, the forum is nearly dead anyway!

Edited by bignev

Already started to dry out as much as i can, going slowly so not to melt or over heat anything with my hot air gun, it has helped with the amount of errors that popped up using the key trick. I'm also aware of testing the trans fluid when running the engine and needs to be hot, but still shows as overfilled when hot or cold, but i have my fluid remover arriving Thursday so will try and get it to a good level and get a look to check its condition. Lastly, which is the correct section on here to post? i could only see 3 areas to post in and figured as im a newbie i should be post in the newbie section, maybe im missing a link to show a full list of sections to post in, so any help on that would be great too.

just found the expanded list of forums, didnt know i had to choose browse then forums and then a longer list appears. so i will try an updated version of this post there by the end of the week and remove this one if i can figure that out..lol But thanks again about the drying it out suggestion as it makes me feel a bit more confident that getting it all so wet might might be one possible cause to my issue.