To Buy Or Not To Buy?

hoddie

Hi, we have 3 young kids (6 and 1 year old twins) so after a big car. We currently have a Renault grand scenic which has turned out to be the worst car ever! On Thursday I test drive a 2003 Voyager LX with 76k on the clock. I kind of liked it but have several questions/observations?

Firstly, boot space does not seem massive? I see the back bench slides forward? Do the middle 2 seats too?

I am very concerned about running costs, and have read horror stories about repairs? How reliable are these beasts? What are the common faults? And fuel wise, it's a 2.5 CRD, it will mainly be used on short journeys around town? What we talking?

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi if you need space then this is te mpv to have. I have 5 kids all grown up and we have done many road trips where the kids sit in comfort and enjoy the dvd player and ps2 with wireless headphones.

Look for one with full service history and make sure you get AA BRC on it as the AA have paid out in excess of £2000 for various issues, mine has had EGR COOLER, £1300, Glow Plug Relay £135, 2 Injectors £700, now the water pump has failed £350.00, crankshaft oil seal inc clutch £525. It now drives and performs like a new car. After the EGR cooler was replaced, there was a massive improvement in performance, accelerating more responsive, it is like a new car.

Around town short journeys the car will drink the juice, but on the motorways you will gey between 40 and 50 mpg, averaging out at around 38mpg if you drove from london to scotland on a full load. Sears are very comfortable and other things like starter motor, alternator and cooling system last long. Mine is still on its original parts for these. Battery has to be main dealer. I have the new gel ones.

Apart from that they are very comfortable and the 2 2 3 seating arrangement is perfect.

Good luck in purchasing one. Mine will be up for sale soon as my kids have grown up. Its a perfect vehicle with full service history.

• 5 months later...

I know this is probably well out of date by now, but I owned a 2007 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD Auto a few years back, and it was a fantastic car. It was the 7 seater version with Stow and Go seats. Very very clever system.

Even with all the seats up (thats the second row which were two individual seats, and the rear bench for thrww people) the boot was massive. We managed to get 4 full size suitcases in there when we went away. Put the seats all down, and you have a van.

It had all the usual toys, DVD player, wireless headphones etc. Plus, because its a yank, it had a column change auto gearbox. It felt like Dirty Harry/Kojak every time I put it in Park and got out at Asda.....