Uk Five Button Key Fob

SciTeach

Question

Good afternoon,

I have a Grand Voyager 2.8CRD Ltd but the key fob doesn't work.

I put in a new battery but still didn't work and my local garage discovered a loose connection, which they fixed.  However, the fob still doesn't operate the central locking.

The electrician at the garage did try a couple of methods, but short of plugging into the CPU, which he did not do to save money, nothing worked.

I have looked myself but the methods I have found covers the 6 button fob, i.e. the US one with the panic button.

Does anyone know how I can get the fob to operate as it should without having to go back to the garage?

I have already tried a method whereby the key is put it, switched to "on" and the lock button pressed, repeated three times, but this didn't work.

Many thanks

4 answers to this question

Hi there!

So a few questions rather than answers:

Has it ever worked? If not then you need an auto locksmith to make it talk to the car. Even a second hand one can be matched, I had it done.

Do you have another fob that does work? If so, back to the comment above.

But - you say it doesn't work the central locking - does it operate the sliding doors and boot? 

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for half an hour to give the ECU and BCM (Body Control Module) a reset?

My fobs do have the panic button, and it works, but I've got pattern cases and they came with the button, I can't remember if the original didn't it was 4 years ago I swapped them after the markings wore off the 1st ones. So I got a couple of extras from China, cheap as you like as it didn't matter they took 6 weeks to get here.

Edited by bignev

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I assume it worked as when I collected it from the dealer he said it just needed a battery, which I replaced.

My garage has a receiver which picks up the signal and it didn't when first tried, despite the new battery.  They opened up the fob and discovered the loose connection which they fixed and tested  The fob works, i.e. it is giving out a signal as picked up by the receiver upon testing, but it is not operating the locks on the car or opening the sliding doors or boot.

The fob is separate to the key so not an all in one unit, if that makes a difference.

Kind regards.

Ah, so it was NOT working.

The dealer merely said it was, and clearly couldn't have been as your garage found the fault. It however now does as they have tested it. 

So, now you do need the auto locksmith to code it to your car!!

Yes that's the same as my keys / fobs - separate items.