Engine Drain

maxcaddy

Question

Is there a coolant drain point on the 2.8 CRD engine ?.

I've had a look but can't see one, although I would have thought there would be one fitted somewhere. Trying to do anything down the back on the engine is next to impossible due to access, so that's where it possibly is  :unsure: .

12 answers to this question

Hiya, I'm sure there is a drain plug down the left (As you face the car at front) of the radiator, checking my old video when I replaced the radiator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oB-vRH0qw4&t=852s

Kinda shows it, but it's probably blocked with rubbish so in which case just go for the lower rad pipe on the opposite side and get ready to catch!

Thanks Andy, yes there is a bleed for the Radiator at the bottom left which has a 12mm type hose fitted to it. However how in hell you can get your fingers down there to unscrew the tap that releases it, God only knows. I could only get to it once I got the old Rad out  :D.  

It was actually a bleed on the Block itself that I was asking about. I seem to remember that years ago all cars had them, although probably a thing of the past nowadays  :huh: 

I did my 2.8 different. Pre bought Comma HOAT + 5 litres distilled.

Long term never backflush mixed metals man.

Garden hose into white translucent bottle/engine @ temp/fan full whack temp to high matrix open/bottom hose off, hose matched to flow in/clear water only/engine off/allow full drain/bottom hose on/HOAT + distilled in burp through translucent bottle cap off/top up + burp/ take for 20 ride/check.

You can see the water pump velocity through the translucent bottle and test heat/matrix/demist on the ride. Best of luck.

You can see the water pump velocity through the translucent bottle.

Yeah if only  B), I took my 'translucent bottle' off last year and did everything known to man, short of a sulphuric acid bath to clean it up, but it's still too dark to see anything other than a rough idea of the water level  :o.

To be honest at this stage of my GV's life, I'm just happy to keep it running and if I can get another 10 - 20 K out of her, I'll be more than content to remember her as a good old workhorse. My bigger concern is what to replace it with as 'Stow n Go' is such a benefit there's not much other than a full size van that would offer the same capabilities  :(.   

Yeah totally agree with all the Stow n Go benefits, it's the question what to get next short of a small panel van with windows. One of the benefits I've gained from having S&G is that it takes full 2.4 x 1.2 sheets of plasterboard/OSB. Although not so good in France as their's are 2.5 x 1.2 which means the seats are pushed forward, and the tailgate can't be shut  :angry:. That said, at just over 5M, I have to pay extra on the Ferries  :( .

An 08+ is better gearbox. I'm 31+mpg hill+dale winter+summer and infrequent use so happy to have this very "lucky" purchase for 15 the reliable year. The end of any turn of the card is always LUCK.

5th gen began around 08 and ran to 16 on CRD I think. Pentastar on an RT plat. I thought at the time even if I wanted and could afford one I'd stay clear and stick with CRD engine.and gearbox regardless of EU/UK greening.

I wish for your regardless of type/brand/ etc choice the very best of luck.