Front And Rear Discs

poopydog

Question

And another thing, why is the tolerance between a new disc and one deemed out of tolerance (ie too thin) so narrow?

I had new front discs fitted in January, after approx 6000 miles there now on the worn limit?

Already had the arguement with an ATS employee (must have been almost 14 years  of age " there all like that these days sir !!)

I used to get at least 25,000 miles per set  of brake pads and 2 sets fitted before  my discs got  low, now it seems a set  of disc per set of new pads is the norm!!!!

Is this correct or are there some new discs  out there that start with a  bit more material  on them?

Thankyou

me again

14 answers to this question

I think discs on cars now are maybe softer than of old........my discs have done about 55k, but have been flagged up on MOT as advisories to replace.

On close inspection a few weeks back I detected a rough corroded high spot on the back face of one side of the car.

I will replace them and hope the braking will be better,as I would like more "bite" as I feel they seem to be a bit under servoed so to speak...

Iv not driven any other Delta, so I don't know if mine is normal for model?

Edited by Cassino

I need to do the front discs and pads on mine, I see EBC have a kit for the 1.6 Multijet with Bosch calipers.

I guess this means there could be different ones depending on the age of the car?

There could even be different calipers on each side of the car, depending on which box was where, on the production line!!!

I had a Punto 1.9 jtd which had a Girling on the left and an ATE on the right, same discs, but I had to get a set of each type when I changed the front pads

There could even be different calipers on each side of the car, depending on which box was where, on the production line!!!

I had a Punto 1.9 jtd which had a Girling on the left and an ATE on the right, same discs, but I had to get a set of each type when I changed the front pads

Oh spiffing! Guess I know what I'm doing in the morning.

Oh spiffing! Guess I know what I'm doing in the morning.

Well, after whipping off the front wheels and checking, I don't have mis-matched calipers :) Ordered discs and pads from my local factor on Saturday, picked them up Monday morning and all fitted on Monday afternoon. The only slight downer is that one of the disc fixing bolt / wheel locating peg thingys sheared. First 3 came out with little or no effort, but the last one.... Well, I guess we've all been there. Are these readily available? If anyone has a link, I'd be grateful.

Did my front discs & pads last week, 16k miles in Guernsey have been hard on them.  Lots of braking in the lanes & not much speed to cool them down I guess?  Also got given the wrong pads initially, much too small, but ones for a Fiat Bravo were the required item.  Bit awkward without a reg number at the minute!

Those locating pegs are on ebay Tim:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Fiat-Lancia-Alfa-Romeo-Brake-Disc-Drum-Wheel-Locating-Screw-4221815/264410226019?fits=Car+Make%3AFiat&epid=1425268447&hash=item3d9013dd63:g:gLcAAOSwIKZdOuKi

Did my front discs & pads last week, 16k miles in Guernsey have been hard on them.  Lots of braking in the lanes & not much speed to cool them down I guess?  Also got given the wrong pads initially, much too small, but ones for a Fiat Bravo were the required item.  Bit awkward without a reg number at the minute!

Those locating pegs are on ebay Tim:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Fiat-Lancia-Alfa-Romeo-Brake-Disc-Drum-Wheel-Locating-Screw-4221815/264410226019?fits=Car+Make%3AFiat&epid=1425268447&hash=item3d9013dd63:g:gLcAAOSwIKZdOuKi

Thanks Mike,

I have a sneaking suspicion mine were still original. I suppose I cant complain at 7 years and nearly 60k. Front inner pads were heavily worn, the outers still had a bit of life in them. Rears will probably need doing in the next few months but look OK for now.

I noticed there were two different sizes for the pads when browsing online, so took some dimensions before ordering. I also noticed some sets of pads only have the wear sensor on one side, mine has them on both, so passed that on to my local parts store as well.

Edited by TJB

As Euro Car Parts have a sale on again - what front pads are people recommending - they have Eicher / Pagid or Brembo?

I ended up with DriveTec discs and pads from my local parts factor. They've been on since October and seem OK. Part number is PAD2299. They have the wear sensor on both sides which some don't.