300C front brake clunk

jonnyjeep

Question

Hi all, I've been here for a while, but haven't had too much input, as I'm much of a 'work it out myself guy'. But there is a problem that I do have with my 300C, that I can't work out regarding the front brakes.

The damn things keep creaking & clonking when hot. New discs, countless new pads, new pad clips/old pad clips, copper grease, lithium grease on the ears & backs. New sliding pins & seals. Twin pot calipers are working fine.

I strip the brakes down & re-copper/rubber grease them & they are fine for a month or so, but then they gradually get worse again, until the creaking & clonking gets to the point where you have to redo it again.

I'd had this problem a few years ago on a Ford Scorpio & it was down to pattern brake pads not being made to original spec, so I suspect the same with the 300C.

Rubbish Chinese made parts ?.....where can can I get proper orginal spec brake pads in the UK

Or is it a case of glueing wraps of tin foil onto the backs of the rattle clips to make the pads fit tighter ?

Edited by jonnyjeep

1 answer to this question

Water ingress on the brake pads makes the problem worse, so obviously a washout issue with how the pad ears & clips are greased.

Copper grease of now seems to be different of copper grease of old & doesn't seem to be up the job anymore.

Tried lithium grease... no better. Tried ceramic grease...no better. Tried CV joint grease...PERFECT !!

CV joint grease....that black stinky stuff that smells like hydraulic fluid is perfect for brake pad ears & clips. Super lubricating & doesn't wash out. No more creaking & clunking when braking for 3 months now, even after driving through numerous deep puddles.