Auto Box Noise

Agodsall1984

Question

Hi all fantastic forum. I have an issue with my grand voyager 3.3 petrol. When I put car in drive or reverse or any gear really I have a annoying rattling sound which is quite loud sometimes other times not so loud. Not sure what this could be so I thought I'd post on here. It only happens when I put in gear when in neutral or park its fine car has 130 thousand on the clock and has been well looked after services regularly. And help much appreciated.

13 answers to this question

Hi there, depends on the exact noise but mine does it too. I have posted one about "noisy engine when in gear", does yours do it when Air Con on but still in park or neutral? Mine does (2005 3.3 stow n go 91,000 miles). But the other we have (3.3 2002 also 90,000) is sweet as anything, and the other 2002 we had didn't do it either.

Does it go away if you raise the revs slightly, mine does.

I have a weak suspicion it could be the alternator "auto decoupler pulley" bearing, I've ordered one and hope to replace in the next couple of weeks, will keep you informed.

I do know its not the belt tensioner or idler pulleys, or water pump, they're new. But the power steering pump isn't, but having had one go on one of the others it sounds nothing like that.

Cheers,

Nev

Hi yes does go away when the revs are increased however I don't believe any of the auxiliary items are to blame as when the car is running these are still turning but the noise is only there when in drive or gear. I was told it could be the torque converter by a garage which is mega bucks if u have them fit one.

But if like mine it does it when AC on but not in gear then its not gearbox - good for you and me.

Mine is also silent when driving, getting to / from our house we have to drive down a road with cars either side, so with windows open and when revs are up slightly and moving (so torque converter working) it doesn't do it.

What is your transmission oil like it has been said to me that low fluid or old fluid could cause this sort of issue my fluid is not bright red but it's not what I'd call dirty either. Also if the oil smells burned could be a sign it needs changing. With these gearboxes they take 9.2 litres of oil which is a heck of a lot.

Hi there, sorry its been a while, holidays then back to work (self employed) at 300 mph on return.

Anyhow, as the decoupler pulley required the removal of the alternator to get it off, I had a change of plan. Do the alternator.

So have just done it tonight, not too bad a job really, about an hour - but mine I reckon has been off before - the bolts weren't that tight and the EGR valve bolts came out readily too (that had to come off to get the alternator out of the engine bay!!! If you don't have one then it won't be in the way.

The oil dip stick tube is not in the way - some US sites suggest it needs shifting - mine didn't.

More of a pain in the bum was trying to get the blooming belt back on all the pulleys, probably spent an extra 45 minutes tarting about with that! On my own though. Probably 5 mins with 2 people.

But the really good news is that now it doesn't do that horrible noise anymore.

So I hope you haven't spent money on anything in between times!

I did manage to get a video with sound this morning as well, if you're interested to check its the same noise as yours.

Cheers, Nev

Hi there, sorry its been a while, holidays then back to work (self employed) at 300 mph on return.

Anyhow, as the decoupler pulley required the removal of the alternator to get it off, I had a change of plan. Do the alternator.

So have just done it tonight, not too bad a job really, about an hour - but mine I reckon has been off before - the bolts weren't that tight and the EGR valve bolts came out readily too (that had to come off to get the alternator out of the engine bay!!! If you don't have one then it won't be in the way.

The oil dip stick tube is not in the way - some US sites suggest it needs shifting - mine didn't.

More of a pain in the bum was trying to get the blooming belt back on all the pulleys, probably spent an extra 45 minutes tarting about with that! On my own though. Probably 5 mins with 2 people.

But the really good news is that now it doesn't do that horrible noise anymore.

So I hope you haven't spent money on anything in between times!

I did manage to get a video with sound this morning as well, if you're interested to check its the same noise as yours.

Cheers, Nev

Hi there, I've pm'd you on the video.

If the tensioner wasn't doing its job and the belt was loose I would reckon it would squeek or squeel as it slipped.

The  interior lamps and headlights flicker on our other one that never made any noise, bizarely, but charge voltage is fine so I don't worry about that personnally. Probably something not quite spot on with the voltager regulator / rectifier.