Steering Rub (And Click Like Noise)At Quarter/half Turn

Jonidle

Question

Im new to the Delta club, having bought the car a month ago after through research.

I absolutely love my 1.6se mjet diesel and get admiring glances on a daily basis.

I do have on nagging issue though. When I steer left or right when traveling at any speed over 20mph my steering column makes a loud rubbing noise (like a loud click). I can also feel the run through the pedals. Has anybody experienced similar issues or have any ideas?

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated. We have just welcomed our first child to the world and I'd love to sort this issue ASAP.

Jon

7 answers to this question

Hi Jon and welcome to the exclusive Delta club! B)

Sorry no-ones replied sooner....

There so few Delta's that non of us on here (that I'm aware of) have had any steering issues. If you haven't already had it looked at, it might be worth asking on the Fiat forum as the car is based on the latest Bravo of which there are loads.

I'm not aware of any steering rack failures on these later FCA cars apart from Alfa 159/Brera/Spider where the wrong fluid was put in at the factory which caused premature rack failure.

Hope you get it sorted and please let us know what it was and how you got on?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Jon yes sorry for delay but welcome. Hope you are enjoying your Italian  :P

No issues on mine and not heard of any similar stories? Are your brakes ok? Sometimes pad movement can cause a groan thats felt through the pedals though usually at slower speeds than that?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. People in this forum already listen to me more than my wife! ?

The only advisory on the last not was low brake pads, so I may seek to get them changed and then reevaluate.

There are lots of horror stories in the bravo form, regarding steering column etc. but hopefull the brake pads will solve it.

Aside from this the car drives beautifully, so I'm optimistic it's nothing major.

Will report back soon,

Jon

Yeah my MOT was exactly the same with low pads and worn discs on the front. When I checked them I didn't think they were that bad, but probably want changing soon as my drivers side calliper is sticking and then heats up and screeches. So I might as well bite the bullet and do it all together...  

Are you keeping your car stock, or are you going to have a play and change a few bits?

Hi there,

I can relatr to a slightly similar but not identical issue.... When steering at high speed as u describe especially when loadex at the boot a load knocking is noted at the rear. Dealer inspected that and found an issue with rear axle push and didn't need to replace simplty readjusted it. Might be similar issue at front axle?