LEFT FRONT STRUT ASSEMBLY SOURCE/PART NUMBER?

brit644

Question

ANYONE KNOW OF A SOURCE [UK] FOR THE ABOVE? [2.8 DIESEL VERSION 2007]

HAD BOTH SIDES DONE, LEFT BEARING COLLAPSED [SOUNDS LIKE BAG O SPANNERS] THINK A FITTING MISTAKE BY MECHANIC

NOT DOING IT MYSELF SO HAD A WORD WITH A MECH WHO I TRUST AND WEIGHING THE SITUATION, TIME TO STRIP AND REBUILD IT'S MORE COST EFFECTIVE TO STRAIGHT SWAP.

USUAL SOURCE ONLY HAS THOSE FOR PETROL VERSION.

THANKS FOR INFOIN ADVANCE

KEITH

6 answers to this question

If the bearing assembly has collapsed it should not have damaged thesteering knuckle strut itself. The hub/bearing assembly bolts to the steering knuckle - the steering knuckle in turn bolts to the strut assembly. All of these are available on ebay ~ either new or second hand.. Had my hub /bearings replaced and supplied parts are excellent (see my previous posts on this for the supplier's contact details. I've attached the pages from the manual - hope this helps.

FrontHub.pdf

Its the strut/shock top bearing, Changed both sides with Macpherson only 1400 miles ago. All looks relatively newish but the initial knock sound is now as mentioned bag o spanners. Pretty sure the fitting is at fault. [Think it was a hangover from the spring firing past the mechanic as he freed the shock while still in situ..which had managed to pierce the side of the spring as the whole thing collapsed when driving  over a deep pot hole  So, am after the whole thing inc spring if poss.  [replaced both hubs last year btw]

I did our drop links very recently, as it too sounded like the proverbial sack of spanners on only slightly uneven ground.

One side had, by the time I could bring myself to get under it, ripped out of the shock mount, fallen down, and been bent like a half U by severe mechanical forces! So when turning in one direction it touched the inside of the wheel and made a hell of a horrible sound! That got my attention I can tell you!

So it might not be quite as bad as you first think!

Does it grind when turning the steering when stood still? That would be a duff top bearing usually.

As mentioned had both sides done maybe 1500 miles ago. The noise was a knock originally so managed to get on a lift. There was little movements hear and there so within the week had both drop links changed, sway buses, tie rods etc etc. Finally I asked mech [he's a friend who's a mechanic for big building co that allows private work after hrs]to drive the thing..'its the bloody shock''.... Thing is they still look new so its not something you expect.

He didnt install them, he suspects it wasnt installed correctly on that side [passenger] I remember viewing the guy taking it out, somehow he was trying to disassemble  ON THE VEHICLE [shock had gone thru the spring sideways and poking into the wheelarch]..the spring shot across the bay missing his head by inches.

Anyway, noise is now extremely loud, right/left turn stationary, forward/reverse move even 3 ft... any movement you can hear it

What I was after was the whole thing including spring for straight swap with no sprng compression involved..Appears not available, you can get the version for petrol...which states petrol only.

Post Script...

Again the abs light comes on after playing down there, did it last I had brakes done, changed the sensors which fixed it, that was 600 miles ago....

These cars are like a hypochondriac, slight changes and they think they're ill