Drb Iii Fault Finding

VoyagerPig69

Question

Hi, does anyone know if you need the DRB box in between laptop and Vehicle or is there software out there that can do away with the specific Chrysler kit and run direct from laptop??

I have been looking around and genuine DRB kit is just horrifically expensive when compared to other manufacturers systems.

I'm not looking at programming or rechipping just want a diagnostic/ fault finding view.

Edited by VoyagerPig69

7 answers to this question

Hi there,

Firstly, it's ODB-II which I think you're referring to here which is the communication system the car uses and can be used by connecting into the interface within the cab to retrieve fault codes, reset engine management lights, etc.

Depending on what you're trying to diagnose it depends on the cost really. One of the cheap ODB-II bluetooth devices off ebay work fine to get you basic fault codes and reset the engine management light generally.

For other more specific codes (ECU, SAS, Audio, everything else) then yes you need a specific Chrysler package, but I believe you can do this with the basic ODB-II adapter and it's the software that's the 'magic' part.

The kit that I know a few people use cost upwards of £300 so it's not a cheap option depending on what you're trying to do.

No its the DRB III tool I am referring to, it has a few different variants depending on year but is used for Chrysler non Canbus systems and is peculiar to Chrysler, although they do work through the Chrysler OBD system. All manuals from 2000+ refer to these (DRB1 & DRB3) along with other system tool units (Starscan, starmobile, WiTech). I am unsure if plugging a straight OBD unit will even fit or even fry a Chrysler system, hence my interest in it. Have happily used OBD,EsOBD, Canbus and other items with various different vehicles just not played with the diagnostics on this yet and don't want to 'Brick' it

heres an example of the DRB kit on ebay.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrysler-Jeep-Doge-Sprinter-DRB-III-DRB3-Diagnostic-/121680743141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c54bccae5

Ah sorry, yes you are correct. Just as an aside I've used the standard ODB-II unit on my GV (2005) to get basic diagnostic fault codes and reset engine management light without issue.

(All cars have to be ODB-II compliant after 1996, so a standard ODB-II can give basic diagnostics and most definitely won't damage the electronics in the car).

I'll try and find out the tool that a friend has used on my car in the past, his wasn't specific Chrysler but more a universal chinese copy that could read and reset pretty much every code going on my car.

Ah sorry, yes you are correct. Just as an aside I've used the standard ODB-II unit on my GV (2005) to get basic diagnostic fault codes and reset engine management light without issue.

(All cars have to be ODB-II compliant after 1996, so a standard ODB-II can give basic diagnostics and most definitely won't damage the electronics in the car).

I'll try and find out the tool that a friend has used on my car in the past, his wasn't specific Chrysler but more a universal Chinese copy that could read and reset pretty much every code going on my car.

Launch x431 Diagun - used to be £400 on a grey you can now get a Diagun 2 on a legit non-grey with a 3 year update system for the same price because the Diagun is a discontinued Launch item.

why not use you key to get the codes  havent found one yet on obd11 that hasnt shown up on the key dance

put key in turn fully on and off 4 times without starting the car and the codes show up where your miles are

but yes normal obd11 reader  and even bluetooth £4 ebay jobby and a free app for your phone works well just need to try see which you get most from like water temp rev sensor readings ect