Heated Seat Led Replacement & Headlight/mirror Dash Lights

BestcarEver

Question

Hi   :D

1 - Please see photo of heated seat LED that has blown - does anyone know what spec LED i can replace this with and where to buy one from? I'm assuming its a simple unsolder this one, and solder on a new one?

2 - The illumination lights behind the headlamp and power mirror switches have also blown (all of them). Not much fun in the dark fumbling around there   :unsure: - Does anyone know how to get this small set of controls out so i can replace the bulbs behind it? I read somewhere that you have to take the whole dash out!!   :o  ...i'm hoping not.

Cheers in advance guys/gals!

post-633-0-92097600-1432814120_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

On my previous gv I owned I did similar to the centre console heated seats.

When you say the leds have blown, are you on about the orange illumination to show seats are heating, or the green glow the 'bar' lights up with when lights are on?

If its the orange leds then firstly that's very odd, as they are led I'd not expect them to blow, especially all of them, makes me think something else faulty.

If you mean the green illumination, then that's the larger blue capped BULBS (yes you read right, filament bulbs!) the are soldered to the board.

What you can do, which is what I did, u solder these bulbs carefully and replace with leds. All you need are 12v green leds with reasonable intensity (unfortunately leds are more directional than bulbs so their glow isn't the same).

You then have to use a multimeter to find the positive rail that feeds the old bulbs and solder your led replacement on.

Drop me a line if you need more info, but if you're OK with multimeter and soldering shouldn't take more than half an hour

Unfortunately I didn't take pics of it before I scrapped the car, but it did a decent job, and certainly enough glow to know which buttons were which whilst driving.

I think I bought the 3mm and in hindsight should have gone for 5mm to give a bit more light out, and the ones I ordered had the resistor soldered onto their base which was a pain when it came to attaching to the circuitboard, so try and get ones with the integrated resistor in the package rather than an external inline.

But, it's such an easy job to do, throw a couple on and see what it looks like next ride out. I think I did that a few times to get them right originally.

PS: avoid the climate control illumination! Mine were out on that too, so I took that module out, opened it up and tried the same trick. Almost blew the climate control board (it was lighting up random LEDs on the directional blowers, fan speed, etc, so it clearly didn't like having LEDs on that board!)