Dreaded oil cooler O ring leak CRD

jonnyjeep

Question

I have what I have read is the dreaded O ring oil cooler leak on my 300C CRD (94,000 miles). The rear of the engine cover insulation is caked in oil & I am wiping oil off of the rear engine cross member & aluminium bulk head heat sheilding on a fortnightly basis. Oil spray seems to be coming from area between turbo & EGR...and is also leaving light residue on number 8 glow plug top :unsure:

Is there anywhere else where oil could be leaking from apart from the oil cooler rings in this part of the engine ?

4 answers to this question

It wasn't the dreaded O ring oil cooler leak and was actually a very cheap & easy fix. So maybe many others can possibly breath a sigh of relief.

The spray was actually coming from the aluminium pipe that pushes onto the turbo inlet.

Because this pipe is a push fit & there is no proper seal, then a small amount of oil gets forced out & sprays liberally about the egr area & soaks the back end of the engine cover insulation and cross member.

I put a rubber O ring around the turbo inlet & also spread some black instant gasket around it (probably overkill, but just to ensure that it would seal), then pushed the aluminium pipe onto it and let it set for a couple of hours.

I've had no oil fouling around the EGR area or engine cover insulation since I did this a year ago.

I do wonder though....why is there no rubber seal on this pipe, considering the turbo pressure that is pulled through it ?......did a designer think that an aluminium over pipe with no vacuum seal would suffice ?

Edited by jonnyjeep

Sorry for the total confusion...I got my inlet & outlet the opposite way round.

The pipe I sealed was the turbo outlet pipe, but this was obviously the one that was causing the oil spray back onto the back of the engine, EGR & underneath of the engine cover.....blowback ?

Edited by jonnyjeep

Still no oil soaked EGR, firewall, engine cover etc since sealing the turbo outlet pipe, but a little turbo flutter occasionally when letting off the accelerator....seems normal for a turbo diesel  :)

Edited by jonnyjeep