Grand Voyager - Fuel Consumption.

ziaulhaq

Question

Good day all,

Recently bought CHRYSLER GRAND VOYAGER EXECUTIVE XS CRD 2.8 07 reg (Diesel) from 2nd hand car dealer, this is my 1st Chrysler car, I love this car because of its look, and comfortability.

But after few days of use I am bit concern about its fuel consumption, I am getting about less than 20 MPG. (I put 16 litres and after around 70 miles I had to refill fuel again.

I was told that car is fully serviced recently, i checked oil and colour was very black, which may be normal for diesel car.

I am looking for some advise, to know if this sort of fuel use is normal for this car. what you can advise to reduce fuel consumption.

Many thanks.

Edited by ziaulhaq

6 answers to this question

Oil should be runny and off brown.

When was last fluids service? Check service history in handbook??

Black indicates carbon deposits being put into oil.

Thick black would make me a little worried.

mpg - depends very much on how you drive .... but ....

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/review-archive/chrysler-grand-voyager-2-8-crd-executive-xs

say about ....  the best the trip computer showed was 29.1mpg (real life driving by the looks of it)

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/chrysler/grand-voyager/estate-2001/36929/

say about ........ 33mpg (probably the hypothetical value that all companies use)

Feels like you should have it back to the seller and get him to give it a once over ....

Service? Sale of goods - fit for purpose.... etc etc

etc etc

Penguin

Hi,

many thanks for your reply. I am really hoping for at least 26 mpg, but so far disappointed. paid big money for this.

Not sure these seller really bother to help much after sale, although Three months guarantee given for engine and gearbox problem.

Fit for purpose/sale of goods, are there any clauses these dealers are oblige to follow? I live in Manchester and bought car from seller in Birmingham. before purchased I only had small test drive and couldn't judge fuel consumption. :(  

Will you suggest to change oil/ filters etc before speaking to seller.

Your advise/suggestion very much appreciated.

thanks and regards

Zia

Sounds a bit low on MPG, however this varies hugely, I can make mine shift a good 5 or 6 depending on driving, and with you being a new CGV owner (I've owned 2 now) getting the sweet-spot is sometimes tricky!

As crispinchurch touches on, are you calculating yourself or using the built-in trip computer?

Going completely on trip computer I'm currently on 26.7 mainly as i'm doing 30-40 minute trips at a time (dual carriageway all the way) and haven't done any town driving. Literally all I need is to do a few kids school runs (10 minutes trips, through traffic lights, speed humps, etc) and that'll drop well below 24 usually.

Assuming you're auto here too (I've got the 2.8 CRD auto) is it doing a lot of shifting between gears, or typically does it stay smooth? If it's shifting a lot might be worth checking the auto fluid, make sure it's ok as lost of shifting will impact economy.

And finally, is your aux heater always on? (The three wavey orange lines to the top right of the top instrument cluster). This uses diesel to heat up the coolant to help on cold mornings, if the aux heater is always on (Like after 30 minutes driving still on) and it's not mega-cold (less than 5oC) then there may be a problem with the engine thermostat being stuck open and the engine running very cold, which also affects the MPG. Temperature should normally go up to 1/4 to 1/2 within 20 mins of driving in cold weather, less in some cases.

Hope some of that helps!

Hi andyb2000.

Many thanks for your suggestions. yes my car is automatic too. most of our driving is school run during busy time of day,

I will check all your suggestion/ideas and will revert back soon.

Thanks and kind regards,

zia

Edited by ziaulhaq