Headlights Going On And Off !

Stevestuart

Question

Hi I have an Ypsilon 12 plate that’s going great but has developed a headlight problem where you can drive one night with them fine and the next they go off and also the instrument panel as well, you stop play around with the indicator stork switch and then they come on again, but may go off whilst driving, the next day fine and no problems, it’s driving me mad and when I took it to an electrical car guy he said “ speak to the main dealer” when there isn’t one now? Has anyone else had and fixed this problem please as I have looked at the US forum and some say “ replace stork” others, “switch” others “ cabling” and I don’t want to go down any roads if someone has had same problem and rectified it easily? Many thanks Steve

2 answers to this question

Yes. I have a black and red 12 plate, which I've had for just over 12 months. All fine until about 4 weeks ago. Same thing happened, and as I use my car for work, needed to get it sorted before the clocks went back.

I googled, and it appears to be a recall for which my car had missed.

I took it to a nominated garage, mine is Vospers in Exeter, which is an hour's drive away as they are Ford and Fiat main dealers, but also connected with Jeep, and apparently Mazda, after telling them it was to be done under warranty, and I'd read on blog sites that it involves a new lights stalk being fitted and a car body computer update.

Long story short, it was ok on the way back home, but later that day I went out and the headlights are now permanently on as soon as the key turns to the first stop in the ignition.

Since I have rung them to complain, (I spoke to the Chrysler mechanic who carried out the work), and it appears that only the computer update was carried out.  He said normally, that was all that's required. He's worked on loads and only a couple have not been rectified.

Now I'm waiting for him to get approval from Jeep (??, no idea) for the stalk to be replaced.

Latest is, since yesterday morning when all lights were on, now the running lights have stopped working. They are expecting me to go back to them with it for repair, another Saturday morning wasted to look forward to.

Kathy

On 11/2/2021 at 4:20 PM, Kathy said:

Yes. I have a black and red 12 plate, which I've had for just over 12 months. All fine until about 4 weeks ago. Same thing happened, and as I use my car for work, needed to get it sorted before the clocks went back.

I googled, and it appears to be a recall for which my car had missed.

I took it to a nominated garage, mine is Vospers in Exeter, which is an hour's drive away as they are Ford and Fiat main dealers, but also connected with Jeep, and apparently Mazda, after telling them it was to be done under warranty, and I'd read on blog sites that it involves a new lights stalk being fitted and a car body computer update.

Long story short, it was ok on the way back home, but later that day I went out and the headlights are now permanently on as soon as the key turns to the first stop in the ignition.

Since I have rung them to complain, (I spoke to the Chrysler mechanic who carried out the work), and it appears that only the computer update was carried out.  He said normally, that was all that's required. He's worked on loads and only a couple have not been rectified.

Now I'm waiting for him to get approval from Jeep (??, no idea) for the stalk to be replaced.

Latest is, since yesterday morning when all lights were on, now the running lights have stopped working. They are expecting me to go back to them with it for repair, another Saturday morning wasted to look forward to.

Kathy

My wife, also a Kathy is having the same problem, although Stoneacre want nothing to do with it!!!!! So it looks like I will be doing it myself.... please keep me posted on how you are getting on? I would really appreciate it, thanks, Jason