Engine Removal

Sentech

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi Sentech,

I'm looking at removing the engine of my 2.5 CRD manual sometime soon to do some work on it and was wondering about removing the engine through the top.  I was chatting to an experienced mechanic today and asked him about his thoughts on the matter.  He said that by far the easiest way to get the engine out was to drain the radiator (which you'd have to do anyway) and remove it, then take the front beam of the car off.  Then swing the air-con radiator out the front and use a hoist to bring the engine out the front.  I don't know if there would be space to separate the engine from the transmission and take it out.  Perhaps someone here knows...

I've got my 2.8 stripped down right now. I don't believe the engine would come out thru the from the front there just isn't he space.

What are you planning to do ?

In situ I have the head off, exhaust manifold and Turbo.

Before you get the thread removed - I need to do a rear crankshaft oil seal, while I'm at it I'll do the cambelt and water pump.  I think my turbo oil feed pipe might need a little bit of love, I'm going to fit a  recon power steering pump....and I might think about replacing the thermostat (even though I've done the secondary thermostat mod to the top pipe.)