Camber Batwing Bolts

jonnyjeep

Question

I see we have these grooved bolts in the front lower arms & tension struts that are for wheel camber. I first noticed these last year when I replaced the lower front arms & just put them back in the way they came out (I marked them with a white tyre pen).

Last week I had to do a bit more work on the front suspension in replacing the upper control arms (wishbones) & the lower tension struts. The tension strut on the drivers side had the grooved bolt, but the tension strut on the passenger side had a plain bolt that just went straight through the middle with no adjustment possible & could be torqued from either side.

Is it possible to replace all grooved bolts with ungrooved bolts to ensure a wheel with no camber ?.....it was so much easier to torque up the plain bolt, as you cannot get a socket on the end of the batwing nut because of the subframe being too close, unless you have crowfoot torque wrench ends :)

And while on the subject of front wheels, should the front wheels toe out or in, or straight. Mine have & do still toe in very slightly, but steering wheel is straight. I'm a bit of a skinflint, so use the string method from front to back tyres to determine toe settings & go a quarter of a turn on each track rod until it feels good B)

From what I have read, being a rear wheel drive, then front wheels have to be set 'toe in' slightly, because when driving, the front wheels will naturally have a tendency to pull outwards and create a straight line, which kind of makes sense :P

Edited by jonnyjeep

1 answer to this question

Wasn't happy with with my previous personal toe/tracking set up, so decided to toe/track the front wheels absolutely straight so they lined up with the rears. Wow !!..so much better, & quieter tyre noise. Just 1/8 of a turn on each track rod made all the difference :)

Edited by jonnyjeep