2005 2.8 Grand Voyager Won't Start.

oldginger

Question

Hi everyone, sad to say my wife passed away peacefully on the eve of our 50th wedding anniversary 9/9/2020 at 1830 with all close family in attendance. The lack of treatment due to the closure of Cheltenham oncology unit and the rest of the hospital in general at virtually the start of Febuary has definitely caused the premature deaths of many patients. My daughter is awaiting the forecast of her approximate death. Both cancer victims. No NHS clapping here. I know its the governments fault plus the CEO 's of the trusts with their own agenda's.of back door privatisation. END OF RANT. My ecu has been repaired and the reason its taken so long has been illness affecting both persons involved. The chap who has repaired the ecu says the cause of the failure of what he calls tracks is connected with known Voyager and Jeep aircon failures causing open circuits and power surges to the ecu. To prevent further problems the chap refitting the ecu and myself are hoping members of this forum can help.Stay safe, and thanks in anticipation ,oldginger.

4 answers to this question

@@oldginger Aww crap mate I am so sorry to hear that, I know you said your wifes condition was terminal but it's still a completely ruddy pooe time.

I cannot, and in the politest way and with utmost empathy, I hope I won't have to, comprehend what you are going through emotionally now with the news of your daughter.

And sadly I agree with your comments regarding the state of our once wonderful NHS. One of our local hospitals has regretfully got a tag from a few of us slightly older ones, Stepping Hill is its actual name - "step in ill come out dead", both my mum, closest aunt, and father in law did just that.

If the CEO's and managers didn't take so much bloody money as "salary" then there would be WAY more available to look after and employ plenty more front line foot soldiers - nurses. 

Edited by bignev

Hi bignev, thanks for your support and yes feedback from friends and family across the country are all saying their local NHS is in shambolic meltdown due to very bad money grabbing management and back door privatisation. Our diabetic eye screening services seem to now be under a private firm based in Swindon. I threw the letter in the bin. Where private contracts are concern there's usually corruption. That's the way of the world sad to say.    Have you come across this problem of the aircon open circuit frying the ECU?. I am sorry for your loses and its hard to take when you know its down to incompetence. Take care, look after yourself and family because it appears our leaders are incapable. oldginger.

It used to be a wonderful institution didn't it, doing what it was created to do. Then money, and then greed, take over, gits.

I have the softening blow that my losses were spread over a few years, still makes my blood boil though.

3 years ago I have to say I was uplifted by the Christie cancer care in Manchester, their care for my mother in law was superb.

Even though we knew the prognosis, after the radio therapy, (not chemo as she wasn't strong enough for it) she had a fall, giving a spiral fracture to her tibia, the NHS fixed that and also did a half hip replacement as it was going to be beneficial for her.

That unfortunately is VERY much the exception nowadays as we know all too well

I haven't (yet) come across the air con frying the ecu.

However on our first GV it may possibly have been a factor. It was a 3.3 petrol, but ended up refusing to change gear, many many hours of tests and investigation never sorted it. It went for breaking up for parts. So it could have been in the ecu as everything else tested good including the TCM and solenoid pack. Ah well never mind.

Hi @@oldginger very sad to hear and our hearts are with you, very difficult times indeed. Please take care of yourself in this time.

On your GV, I also haven't heard of the air con causing ECU problems, BUT I do know the alternator has an integrated rectifier circuit (first stage diode pack I believe) and I know these go faulty and cause voltage spikes on the eletrical system which of course is bad news.

Did your mechanic check the voltages at battery for ripple, etc. as I think that's the route I'd be going down especially after paying out for the repair to your ECU.

I'm trying to recall the simpler way of testing this, from memory it's setting your multimeter to AC and putting it on the battery terminals, that way you can see if there are any AC spikes being sent by a faulty diode pack/non rectified voltage which is reaching the rest of the electrical system.

By the way, it's always worth saying, NEVER run the car with battery disconnected, it's crucial to help smooth the spikes out whilst running as that would cause an ECU fry.