Chrysler - No More

stuartmunn

Question

7 answers to this question

I guess that Lancia will disappear like Autobianchi and Innocenti  can't see them replacing the ypsilon but the decision seems odd as the ypsilon sells quite well outside Italy even if in smallish numbers. I cant believe that any other firm would waste such a valuable brand as Lancia it's very very odd thinking, I can see why they wouldn't bring north American built Chryslers in though they seem ill fitting to European tastes at the moment. 

Yes I'm with you Rosso. I really don't understand Marchioni's thinking at all in Killing off Lancia!?

He'd be better off selling the brand to someone who can do something with it. Ypsilon is one if not 'the' best selling small car in Italy and like you say has enjoyed some success across Europe too.

Yes the Delta hasn't lived up to it's heritage and was probably doomed to fail from the off as everyone was bound to compare it to it's 80's/90's legacy. But as a 'c' segment car isn't as bad as the press made it out to be... Chrysler was definitely a limiting factor outside of Italy as perception is everything.

Yep I agree with all of the above, but putting my Lancia sentiment aside I think Marchionnes plan is sound. They have to compete with global scales of economy and Lancia is not a world brand.  There is very little profit in small cars and Ypsilon may well sell in Italy but its not on the same scale in Europe as the Fiat 500 or Panda. 

So concentrate on Jeep and Alfa Romeo globally, Fiats in Europe and South America, Chrysler for the US. Jeep is already going great globally, its up to Alfa Romeo re-vamp to be a big success. The missing part of the global jigsaw is they need a partner in Japan/India... so I fully expect Suzuki or Mazda to be a target.