Faulty Reversing Sensor

Rossocorsa

Question

Just a tip really. Last year I had problems in winter with the reversing sensors but Chrysler wouldn't do anything as the sensor would recover when driven any distance and in the summer it recovered. They wouldn't even record it on the cars record which I thought cheeky.

Anyway recently the fault reappeared. Multi ecu scan said it was a fatal error on the right sensor which is the most exposed of the four. Fatal means in theory terminal. I got under the car and removed the sensor found the connection wet. Blew the connection in the sensor dry, applied contralube fitted back together no improvement. Started checking parts on eBay and eper(expensive) but next day her presto all cured and working! Good stuff that contralube! If the car had gone to a dealer reckon it would have cost up to 200 quid. Lesson is check the off side sensor and make sure it's water tight at the connection, it's easy to get to just lay under the car but that's why it's prone to contamination

Edited by Rossocorsa

3 answers to this question

Good tip Rosso - not heard of that stuff before - just looked it up - but will bear in mind. 

Mine have been ok - Problem is my Coupe has a dealer option reverse sensor fitted from new but it was an early system utillsing a magnetised strip in the bumper - useless - I never adhere to it so tend not to trust any of them!

Sounds more like something that should be in the bathroom cabinet Ooh-Eer! :lol:

Yes what you describe regarding the parking sensors is quite common across all makes to be honest, but good tip though non the less... It's not unusual for the sensors to fail completely either and as said easy to replace should that happen.

I wonder how much they are... an arm and a leg no doubt!