Overheating

brit644

Question

Drove to Spain in December [maybe 5 weeks after purchasing 2007 gen 4..2.8l] On all hills of note [up to 5k ft] temp gauge touched red. I turned on the blower of course to help dissipate the heat. Nothing in tow, only 1 passenger..me. The guy I purchased from showed me the bill/receipt for new water pump, timing etc. However on checking expansion tank... rusty as can be..Surely new coolant would have been used, maybe not a full flush thru laziness.

I dont have probs with pre heat not working, once up to temp sits all day...Just hates the hills, like the days before variable timing etc. Actually on the decline and with extra speed the temp drops very rapidly.

Another thing I noticed was on the flat, if you give it some juice I was surprised how rapid it is, but the hills, without a fierce kick-down it slows remarkably quickly down to 40mph from say 80...as if no torque.

Maybe Im just new to these and tis how it tis

Thanks for any comments

k

2 answers to this question

Your problem with overheating seems common with the 2.8crd. I bought mine last August and it overheated on the way home! The garage replaced headgasket skimmed head thermostat and allegedly flushed the coolant but have doubts on how thorough they were. From what I've read if the coolant has been left for too long or is the wrong type then the rad silts up causing these problems. There is many articles that are very helpful on the forum. On full throttle they are quite rapid and mine seems okay on hills for speed but lincolnshire isn't Spain for hills.

The guy I bought from had purchased the vehicle for sole purpose of family tour of the Broads. He was intending to sell pretty quick after but timing went apparently. I saw the receipt...which was dated 2 weeks afore I acquired it. He was quite honest about the whole thing. I do think that if the mech was told fix quick as its to be sold they may have just re-used original coolant etc. I do know once I reached destination [spain] I gave more than a cursory look, the most chocolate looking coolant Ive ever seen. I did try and get my daughters local mech to do a flush and good 'health check'..wouldnt go near the thing save for wheel balance on all 4.

Me thinks it was a job half done to be honest

All vehicles have their 'funnies' its just finding them. I work in the USA for some months of the year, have an old Chevy Suburban [454 7.4l petrol] Every year you have to check/change all oil lines, they become porous and seep, extremely cheap tho.  

Anyway tks for the note and heads up.