Delta Hunting 2 - Buying Advice

stuartmunn

Question

All

I've given up on getting an auto 1.6 diesel and I am going to test drive a local 1.4 T jet Delta S, which is the basic version I guess.... No bluetooth or MP3 etc.

Any advice on what to look for in the car would be appreciated.

Any know issues with engine? which I think is a derivative of the good old FIRE but with a Turbo.

Also any issues with bodywork or whatever I should check other than usual tyres, engine levels etc?

Its my first new (to me) car for 4 years so I'm quite excited!

I'll have to upgrade the sound system so I can play my iPod through it ... I'm not bothered about hooking up my phone as I dont like being disturbed by phone calls when I'm drive ... 

I may go down the route of badging it as a Lancia ... but not too bothered but if anyone spots a Lancia Grille then let me know !

11 answers to this question

This is what Parkers says about the engine when fitted in the Bravo:

There are two turbocharged versions of the 1.4 petrol engine called T-Jet - one with 120bhp and the other with 150bhp. The 120bhp version was launched later in 2007, while the 150bhp engine was available from day one. Both variants boasts the same pulling power in Active and Dynamic versions, but slightly more in Sport models thanks to an overboost function. This means the Sport can cover the 0-62mph benchmark sprint in 8.2 seconds, making it the quickest in the range. The T-Jet engines are both superb with a peppy nature that suits the Bravo well but for higher mileage drivers the diesels make more sense.

I had one in Italy (In a Ypsilon) and although ok on the move, I found it really struggled on the hills especially if loaded up with passengers and suitcases. I nearly burned the clutch out on more than one occasion. In the delta which is a heavier car I can't say it would be something I would consider! The 1.4 multi-air would be my choice if going petrol!

I can't believe this hasn't gone tbh, as with a little negotiation could be had for 6k.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412049437531/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/chrysler/radius/1500/page/1/model/delta/postcode/sk42je/usedcars?logcode=p

Yeah You're right Neil... I never noticed that! That Multi-air engine is a little cracker too... If I wasn't burning reserve while trying to find another career I'd buy that to replace my wife's ageing 147!

It would be easy to have the roof and tailgate wrapped in gloss black!

Edited by MikeyRules

True mate - I can get 45 MPG on the Holiday run to Devon! The Economy SHIFT can be a little annoying - wants you to shift to 6th whilst doing 30mph with a holding throttle - doing about 1800rpm. Very much engineered for economy but goes well on the motorway.....and without the Diesel noise! Apologies Oil-burner fans but despite its still fabulous looks I had to sell my old 159 SW Lusso after a year as I could not stand the sound the JTDM made................

Edited by Nello

I bought the T-Jet its in White and indeed someone has wrapped the roof in black, it looks ok from a distance but not on closer inspection.  Its a matt black wrap, I may take it off or get it redone. The car has only done 14,000 miles so its barely been run in ...

The first thing to sort out is the ICE as this is a base spec S model, I need some iPod connectivity.

The non multiair engine is fine for me.. I got 45mpg on drive home so not bad a for a decent sized car.

Cheers

Stuart

Good to hear Stuart - The Delta certainly is quite a big car for the class......... And just to confirm for someone else that asked me - "Official" Duo-tone cars are definately painted. I have the two (PPG?) paint code stickers under the bonnet......