Extra Key

chrysler300

Question

1 answer to this question

Hi

Given the state of the modern key, the inbuilt electronic chip etc ...

Historically I had a Brava that had a 'red computer key' and a blue 'non chipped emergency key'.

The instructions obviously was to use the expensive 'computer key', treating the blue key as per sec as an emergency key.

A new red key was required due to water damage. Wife dropped into puddle.

Fiat quoted for a new key, and was the only real supplier in the end. (thinks it was £over 100 + vodka and tonic)

One may just have to bite the bullet on this occasion and go with the flow.

You will need the log book, photo ID, utility bill and a real passion to obtain it.

They will simply look all the documentation, check you are the owner [- note owner not the person who presents the key (i.e. partner will not be able to get a key if they are not named as owner on the V5)] look at the key, and order one for you - it comes pre-cut straight from FIAT.

Make sure when you pick the key up that it a) fits and B) has picked up the codings on first use from the car (things happen when the key is used to lock and open the car inside the key).

They may - but not promising as my dealer is a 8 mile trip away, to post it, using registered pot.

The reason for all the ID is to prevent you turning up, stating that you are the owner of a 300C, living at this address and have lost the key.... Ideal burglar options!

It may take put 4 weeks to get the key, mine came from Italy, they may have a stock in the UK now, I am not aware.

Phew ..... Hope you manage to get it sorted, hope that your dealer is OK.

A previous loan car had an unchipped key. Unknown to the hire company the 'blue key' had a maximum drive distance.

At the time, drove unto North Wales (250 miles) came back down the M6 and warning lights came on ..... Stopped at the services and switched off etc. I had the chipped key, but someone had 'snapped the key plastic holder part' and as a result the chip (2mm x x 2mm) had been lost. A vauxhall antitheft device to prevent keys being snatched from the ignition at the time.

Tried to restart the car - nothing happened!

With two kids and a wife getting hotter under the collar, rang the hire company - they supplied a new car at the services about four hour later.

Having drunk copious quantities of coffee and eaten too much fried chicken, we ended up at home, at an ungodly hour. Added to which, the snow was coming down, the M6 was white in all lanes and the A14 was not built, so Lutterworth to home was a nice 30 miles on unsalted A roads .... Oh the joys of going to the inlaws for New Year.

The 'unclipped blue key' had a 500 mile maximum journey time - so be aware that you will require a chipped key.

I do not know if this is still the case with FIAT keys. I have two chipped 'red keys' for my Delta.

Happy driving and hope you get the keys sorted out.

Penguin