White Smoke On First Startup In Morning

Adamalzo66

Question

Hi guys and girls i have a chrysler grand voyager 2.8 crd diesel 2005 recently when starting it up in the morning it has been puffing out white smoke with a diesel sort of smell from the exhaust and then clearing up im not sure what it could be fuel economy has gone worse but i think that might be due to the heater being on all the time any ideas guys for the smoke is it normal ? it clears up after a few seconds and it does not do it till left for a day or so any ideas would be apreciated cheers

4 answers to this question

From the experience of my little stand-in Panda Multijet which went off the road months ago. Repairs just getting done on the side by my mechanic friend so labour cost at a min (price must be high for this job). Access down back of engine almost zero like Voyager but worse.

After starting with smoke and clearing after a mile it got to point where it smoked for miles so pulled it off road. Also had fumes in cab problem.

But Voyager had repairs over winter repaired and MOT done. Driving her now...Nice warm bum returns.

Found one injector with black death and another with copper seal missing (really) so decided to change all. Still smoked after injectors replaced. Time to check out EGR system and inlet manifold. Well inlet manifold is choked almost full, turbo pressure must have kept it going. EGR pipework blocked completely.

Mechanic says job would be easier taking the engine out of car and doing repairs. Don't forget that the cylinder head ports get Clogged as well so its a vac out job as you scrap scrap. 

But saying that the little Panda has all the dogs whistles in pollution control fitments fitted (DPF+EGR+ETC) so how many more Panda's are there out there just waiting to give their owners a shock to these repairs. 

Hi guys and girls i have a chrysler grand voyager 2.8 crd diesel 2005 recently when starting it up in the morning it has been puffing out white smoke with a diesel sort of smell from the exhaust and then clearing up im not sure what it could be fuel economy has gone worse but i think that might be due to the heater being on all the time any ideas guys for the smoke is it normal ? it clears up after a few seconds and it does not do it till left for a day or so any ideas would be apreciated cheers

I had a similar problem with my 2002 2.5 CRD.......It was the turbo....  Oil was leaking in the turbo and making its way through to the exhaust. Eventually I was leaving behind a trail of white smoke.  I took the turbo out.  (once you remove enough, it comes out the top.) I found a company online ([email protected] ) who supplied overhaul kits and also sent the turbine to them for balancing.  The balancing was £50 and the kit, I think, was less than that.

Good luck!