Airbag Light And Error Code P0016

lessuth

Question

Hello, I have a 2006 Chrysler GV 3.3 petrol that has just had the flexplate replaced. I also replaced the cam and crank sensors and in attempting to start after the repair I found I had low fuel pressure so I replaced the fuel pump as well. . First start after the repair the car started perfectly and ran great. However as soon as the car warmed up I had the engine light come on with the error code P0016 again. Next the airbag light came on and so I checked all the yellow connectors I could find under the seats & below the ashtray/centre console. Cleaned all the ABS ring gear and sensors but still no joy. Can anyone tell me if there is any correlation between the airbag light and P0016? 

Cheers

5 answers to this question

Hi there,

I'm sure I replied to this but not sure where the reply went!

Engine management with P0016 as you say whilst running (Is it cutting out over 2.5k RPM too?) sounds like weak fuel pressure, not 100% on the Petrol one but does it also have a fuel solenoid to regulate the pressure? That might be worth looking into.

Airbag cannot see the correlation with P0016 though, ABS rings won't be related as that would trigger the ABS or TRAC OFF warnings.

Airbag can be so many faults unfortunately, it needs an advanced ODB reader to get you the actual code causing it and then repairing that way, otherwise you're really onto a lot of trouble to find the faulty part. However, airbag is self-resetting, so after fixing the fault, drive it 1mile or so and the light should go out if you've resolved the fault.

thanks for your assistance Andyb2000

if I stick below 3-3500 RPM it runs great. I cant exceed that RPM.

the pressure regulator solenoid if I understand correctly is fuel pump mounted and I replaced the fuel pump just the other day.

After cleaning the yellow airbag connectors the SRS light is now off.

It's the cam/crank (P0016) sensors that has got me beat. The check engine light only pops up when the engine reaches normal operating temp. I can run the car up to 5000 RMP without a problem when its warming up thru all the gears and up to highway speed.

Any suggestions? 

Edited by lessuth

Glad you've managed to get the airbag light off, good old cleaning the connectors trick!

On the P0016, that sounds like potential connector issue, I'm wondering if there is a dodgy ground to the sensor that when it gets warm is causing it as those sensors will get quite a bit of heat which could typically cause them to give mis-readings. Difficult to test for as you'd really need live sensor data from a full-blown code reader whilst driving and kick it above 3.5k RPM to see what the sensor does, my bet? That it gives a mis-reading, the car goes into limp/failure mode and cuts out.

So to me, two choices. First is to test the wiring loom to the crank sensor, pins are:

https://imgur.com/a/YqpUCpM

So make sure you get a good ground and voltage to the ground/voltage pins. You can't really test the signal pin without an oscilloscope though so don't try!

After that, I'd go with changing the sensor again, I know you've just changed it but there is a history on here and various places about issues with these sensors especially the cloned ones. I used to have a spare but unfortunately just gave it away to a friend, ask around, somebody might have another one for you to try.

That's where I'd be focusing though