Fuel Filter Change

fandabby

Question

Hi

Fuel filter changed but there seems to be some sweating from the sensor which is connected to the filter - any ideas please ?

I wasn't around when my husband changed this, but he said the old one came out very easily by hand screwing it out.

The new one he removed the top screw in piece which I think he means where the sensor sits, fitted it and used one go with a filter turn tool for tighten gently - he then re fitted the sensor.

Did the turn of key but not starting engine to fill the filter to get air out - did this several times, started car, idle and it didn't cut out.  Restarted engine fine and idled for a good 5-6 minutes no problem.

When he got a clean sheet from the blue roll, there was sweat where the sensor sits.

Do you think he missed something out or is the sensor bit leaking in which case we'd need a new one ?

Any ideas, suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Te sensor should have a seal... if seal is not sealing or dirty... the sensor should be hand tight, or tight by hand if you like. What you mean exactly by sweating? Drips forming? The cap that the filter came with has a seal, that can be used also if sensor seal is damaged leaking etc, as i noticed is the same with the sensor one.

Ps: how was the old filter looking inside? You can see the state of it through the holes from the top side, not water sensor side. Should be able to see if element is white yelowish or brown... ( my one was very dark)

At this stage taking of the sensor wont loose a lot of diesel so is not as chalenging that replacing the filter.

Thanks @@SpAwNtoHell

Will swap over the seal and see if that helps.

It was forming a slow drip but not dripping to floor rather forming and hanging.

As for the colour of old filter, the outside was caked in rust and dirt, the inside filter from what I could see through those holes almost looked black !