Hiss/high Continual Ssssss Noise From Acc Belt

andyb2000

Question

Hello all,

I've noticed this get louder recently so think it's about time to sort it whilst the weather is nice and I have time to tinker!

It's a continual hiss/high sssss noise coming from the accessory belt. It gets louder on higher RPM, so it's related to the revolutions of the belt. I've checked using my mechanics stethoscope and it's not the power steering pump at the bottom, not the a/c pump either. Most noise came from when I listened to the alternator, quite a loud hiss coming from there so I'm thinking this is the culprit.

So, apart from that it's a bit of a guess that it's the problem, do I replace the alternator, or just the alternator clutch/pulley itself as you can buy that separately and replace this on the alternator (My alternator is generally good), anyone done this and does this sound like a decent idea? Or should I just replace the whole alternator?

Also, should I be thinking about the belt tensioner (idler, tensioner and belt) as a replacement too? (Though that's costly)

Any suggestions please folks?

It's 2.8CRD 2005 btw.

Cheers

6 answers to this question

Hi there Andy!

Although mine is petrol, I think it was 2 years ago I was getting a deep ruh ruh noise from ours, when AC on OR in gear, or worse when both situations at idle rpm. Lift the revs and it was better.

Anyhow, replaced the alternator as a whole unit, from a place in Chorley, Lancs, and went sweet as you like.

But before that I had a hiss / siss, rpm related as yours, which bizarely would go quiet if I dripped water on the belt.

Eventually got an idler pulley from the States, couldn't at that point source one over here, as I'd already done the tensioner pulley, and that sorted that out.

Thats folks, sounds like I'm on the right track. I think I'll start with the alternator clutch unit itself as that's relatively cheap (£25) and see if that makes a difference first.

@@macuniyanukukuk where did you get the bits from? Pricing that up it comes to about double what you paid! (Unless that's because of Diesel difference)

@@gordy is that a complete alternator disassembly and replace bearings, as sounds a bit involved?