Gear Change Issue

dkintheuk

Question

Hi there,

I collected my new (old) 2011 Grand Voyager yesterday and all is peachy and smooth with driving except for one small issue on gear changes from 2nd to 1st when slowing down.

It's very clunky on that last change like its dragging and the car feels like it is heavily slowed down. I wondered if this is simply a flush and replace the transmission fluid to allow the gearbox to operate correctly or if it is indicative of something more serious.

I will be going back to check with the seller first but wondered if I should be asking certain questions or looking for other issues too.

Many thanks everyone.

Rob.

4 answers to this question

Yep, that's my expectation and it is totally smooth on all other changes, just not on the change down from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop.

I'm going to get the transmission fluid flushed and changed for fresh then see if that improves things at all.

I just wondered if anyone had some advice on what I should also check or what else I can check. Is there an electrical issue I need to look for or is it likely to be purely mechanical.

Cheers,

Rob.

Did you got it from a car dealer or private? Do you get the engine light on now and then? Was the battery changed recently? If you got it from a car dealer ( even second hand which i assume) 30 days from the second you took posesion, you can take it to them to put it right. If battery was changed or disconnected the box wil go in learning mode and here and then for about 150 miles will have moments to be either slightly jerky or clunky but it all depends what you feel as clunky. You should not have transmission shocks while changing gears fwd best described like when you are stopped and you go from park or neutral to drive or reverse. Yes first point of call is gearbox oil change and filter and take it from there. Gearbox oil should be changed every 60k miles.

That's brilliant advice. It was from a dealer who has been amazingly helpful so I'm sure that will all work out fine.

I'm less worried that the car will die any second and I've driven it on one 300 mile motorway journey even through very slow roadwork sections and had no limp-mode problems so I'm hoping a fluid refresh and a new filter will do the business.

Cheers,

Rob.