Cant Open The Car

Lex

Question

Hi im looking for help. Bought a delta second hand a couple of months ago and had no problems. Parked the car in the garage five weeks ago and today tried to go for a drive but using the fob i cant open the car. Presumed either the car battery had died or the fob battery had died. Tried opening the car with the ignition key but it doesnt fit the door lock. Found the spare fob and that didnt open the car either so have concluded it is the car battery that has died. Tried using the ignition key from the second fob to open the car door but this also failed to fit the lock. Have i been sold a car with a broken lock or am supposed to have another key? Is it normal for the car battery to die after five weeks not used? Any help greatly appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Thanks a ton for the quick responses will get some wd40 in the morning and have a crack. Again thanks all, very much apreciate the rapid responses.

If you have a tool station nearby they do a nice cheap ptfe spray, infact all their sprays are a good price. Before you lubricate Slide the key in the door and try it carefully just a fraction difference in the depth it goes in can make all the difference to whether it turns or not. The cold weather will not help as it will make the barrel tight

My experience of battery failures is they tend to go all of a sudden with no warning overnight. As per the other guys comments - with Winter setting in as well that will probably exacerbate the problem. An average battery life for a car is five years but with one sitting idle for so long won't help either.

My Stop/Start has 'stopped' kicking in now so suspect the battery is waining - The Stop-Start system is sensitive to battery output and use. I did disconnect the battery a while ago in an attempt to recharge but that started so many alerts/messages on the dash and I had to reset the door-locks/power windows to Auto-close etc. I left as is - I can live without Stop-Start until I really need a new battery!