Grand Voyager Auto Jumping In Reverse Problem

crdvan

Question

Hello all,

I have a strange issue which I haven't been able to find an answer for so far online.

Vehicle : 2.8 CRD Auto

It seems to have issue in 1st/Rev/Neutral but after that drives without fault. This all happened after a long journey which was fine but when we returned to the car we noticed 1st was slow and would not move on it's own as auto's normally do and when we arrived home that's when the reverse issue became apparent.

When reverse is engaged the car moves back a slight amount and then jolts forward as if park has been engaged, if you accelerate then it will reverse but jumps/kangaroos as if park is engaging and disengaging and you really have to put your foot down to move it.

The same happens in 1st, the car doesn't move. A little acceleration gets it going with some resistance but no jumping and once 2nd gear is engaged its fine all the way through the gears at any speed, yes even 70mph.

Also I have noticed when selecting neutral it the car also doesn't move anymore, you can push as much as you want but will not move. If the engine is switched off then it can be pushed as whatever is stopping it will disengage.

I have tested by disconnecting sensors one at a time and they are working as once removed they car will present other symptoms, the fluid level is correct and red so is clean, there are some warning codes when key is turned three times but they're all irrelevant. The car was driving fine up until recently with no noises or bangs. 

I have read there is a low/reverse solenoid pack but unable to find this particular fault.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

1 answer to this question

It is really worth investing in a code reader. I'm using a Bluetooth ELM327 device that I bought a few years ago for £25 but you can get smaller ones now for £7. I use it with an application called Torque Pro (£3) that runs on my Android tablet. Knowing what DTCs have been stored really does help diagnosis.

My 2001 has just developed a fault this week and I have P1784 and P0700 but no obvious symptoms except for a clunky shift in and out of reverse. I have read that alternator faults can cause the Transmission Control Unit to interpret voltage spikes as sensor data, so I have made sure that my battery is fully charged and I will be checking the wiring and alternator while I am waiting for parts to arrive. The FSM seems to confirm this as making sure the battery is fully charged is in bold type.

The solenoid pack is mounted on the front of the transmission casing. It will have a vertical face that has a metal cover plate secured with seven screws and a cable going into the top that is secured with a larger screw. If you have found the cable operated lever that goes into the transmission you are not far from it. Look a little further forward, then left, then down.