Few Niggly Things Mpg/seats/dvd Player/running Temp

trekkerglenn

Question

hi all,

just got a 2003 2.5 diesel Grand Voyager for a 2nd car/child minding run about

as the title suggests there are a few niggly issues so far

1) The driver seat does not heat up, base or back of it. passenger one is near instantly hot, the driver switch light activates but no heat, will this be a plug or worse case of heater element type things??

2) The dvd player works great, so do the headphones but is there a way to have the dvd playing through the headphones BUT allow the adults to listen to the radio as the same time. a quick playaround all ive managed to do is play the dvd with the headphones but the rest of the car is in complete silence, ive skipped through the modes but as soon as I do switch modes it cancels the dvd playing? I do have the remote but have not explored the functions on it yet

3) we had a GV roughly 10yrs ago, 3.3 with LPG but checking forums decided on the diesel one this time as many threads suggested figures of 35-40+ mpg. our first tank of combined local and a few runs has cost me nearly £70 and saw just under 350 miles, any ideas why the MPG is so poor... We have just had a service done and its a manual fyi

4) Running temp. the car doesnt get past 1/4 on the temp gauge even on a motorway run, I'm sure ive read it should be just under half way?? could this be a thermostat issue and do you think this is related to the poor mpg?  the heater does get warm, not hot but warm although I dont think it'll be warm enough for the wife on a cold winter day .

sorry to powder the forum with so many questions but its been such a long time since we owned one and ive had many many cars in between haha

many thanks for any help and advice

Glenn

4 answers to this question

dvd 

turn radio on put a dvd in and on mine the dvd play straight away on car speakers pressing mode switch lets me choose radio or cd ect and dvd in head phones

in 2005 i had dev and that was 23mpg on a auto 05 plate 

i now got 2003 plate  3.3l auto running on LPG getting .16p a mile on LPG and .29p on petrol 

dvd 

turn radio on put a dvd in and on mine the dvd play straight away on car speakers pressing mode switch lets me choose radio or cd ect and dvd in head phones

in 2005 i had dev and that was 23mpg on a auto 05 plate 

i now got 2003 plate  3.3l auto running on LPG getting .16p a mile on LPG and .29p on petrol 

thanks chrispin

the DVD player i've solved, although the radio volume is WAYYYYYY louder than the dvd volume if that makes sense? when you turn the car on if youve had the dvd on through the speakers say the night before then next morning the radio switches on, blasts at mega volume then eventually turns back onto dvd. ive tried the audio menu to set a "comfort" volume but cant see one?

23mpg!!! really. I know they are big and heavy but many of the for sale ones on Ebay were actually listing pics of 40+ on the trip lcd's, im sure the forums suggested that 35+ was easily achievable ?

yeah we loved the running costs of lpg, think it was 54p when we had ours but it was still realitivey unknown back then so going on a run took very very careful planning to pass a station with lpg facilities !!! we tried three on the bounce going to Legoland one time and all three were either empty or faulty.

I've never owned a diesel Voyager but the 2.8CRD Auto 4-door Wrangler I had would get between 23mpg town and 31mpg motorway.

I would guess that a 40mpg+ on the trip computer LCD was done by resetting the trip computer at 50mph going downhill and taking a snapshot of the new average after a couple of miles.