Mot Fails

andyb2000

Question

Hi folks,

Amidst my other problems, I had to get an MOT carried out, and initially it failed with the following problems:

• Parking brake: efficiency below requirements [3.7.B.7]
  • Brake hose twisted Nearside Rear [3.6.B.4c]
  • Headlamp aim too high Nearside Front [1.8]
  • Headlamp aim too high Offside Front [1.8]
  • Brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened Nearside Front [3.5.1i]

post-612-0-25614000-1515756955_thumb.png

So, parking brake we have that fun all the time! Did another batch of fiddling with the adjuster wheel, car up on stands, balace the two sides and got it improved (Still only at 20% overall efficiency, but it's a pass)

This is the curious one, "Brake hose twisted Nearside Rear [3.6.B.4c]". Now I checked as first thought had I put a caliper on twisted or somehow twisted the pipe, but no, perfectly straight, then I started looking from underneath as per how the tester would have seen as it's on ramps, and the only thing I can think of is he spotted how the OEM brackets cause the pipes to go from beside each other to above/below each other, which of course causes the pipe to 'cross'. I took some photos, as I'm guessing most others here will never have heard/seen this before!

post-612-0-95780600-1515757527_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-50513800-1515757528_thumb.jpg

In photo two you see as one brake cable goes over the other due to how the brackets are. To me this is factory standard, so not a failure point?

Anyway, when I took it in (I'd replaced the discs, pads, readjusted headlights and improved the park brake), I didn't say a thing, left him to do the retest and waited for it failing on this again and then having the argument, to my surprise it passed this time.

So just one to watch for as I don't believe that should have been a failure reason, but at the same time a couple of picky points, I think he was having an off day (It was last MOT on a Friday, he was running late, etc).

7 answers to this question

My Shoe Backplates, dust covers, flying saucers, on mine are a bit knaff...Got to use 4mm machine screws through the springs and shoes to secure...

5073 640AA - RH.

5073 641AA - LH

Found a supplier but they don't go by those part no's.

Car off road at mo....It's tooo cold outside for my knackered body...

Amen......

Funny you mention that @@gordy but that's the problem I faced, mine aren't great and then I found the push pins had pulled through the rear backplate completely due to corrosion. I also don't think the springs are very good on these pins as you seem to almost 100% compress them to fit, so there is way too much force involved.

I changed the spring on mine to a smaller coil and found another vehicle used similar diameter pins but with a slotted washer that went at the back to secure them, using those and it works a dream now fitting-wise.

Here are the ones I found, I flattened them and they fit nicely at the back to hold securely.

post-612-0-74903100-1516031709_thumb.jpg

I looked up replacement backplates, etc, and Mopar will supply them but at a potentially eye watering cost. Did you try ringing the dealership with the part numbers, see what they say? (I know Chrysler are out of the UK now, but the same supply chain is still there for Mopar parts).

Thanks @@QinteQ I've been round the usuals with the handbrake as we all know is absolute pants on these things! At least it's passed so that's another year before worrying again.

Edited by andyb2000

I costed them at about £110 each with those part numbers. There is other suppliers though that I found before Christmas but put car aside as can't work outside in this permanent rain.  Buycarpartscouk. Bestpartstorecouk. With makers as Dorman & ACDelco. Van Wezel. Silly cheap prices for some cars about £15 each..