Losing Coolant Rather Rapidly Any Advice Garage Say Oil Cooler?

Sassy23red

Question

Hi would appreciate any advice anyone can offer please. My voyager has been losing coolant for about 6 weeks now and recently every time i use it the levels gone right down. The garage have said theres no visible leaks but that i have oil in my coolant tank and apparently i need a new oil cooler. They still cant explain why im losing so much coolant and i dont want to shell out money if its not going to fix the problem i took it in for in first place. Im a tad sceptical of the garage as my problems only started after they capped off my pre heater pipe which was leaking (though that was on left side when facing car) it was after this that i noticed all the rust coloured gunk in my coolant tank which at time they said was nothing now they are saying its oil! Any ideas?

6 answers to this question

Just to add what I experienced, this was on my previous GV (2004 model) and a garage diagnosed the same, oil cooler problem causing oil in coolant, coolant levels kept dropping. No other issues, car ran fine, etc.

I had the oil cooler replaced, but I don't think the little garage I went to did a good job on it as not long after (couple of months) I got an oil warning light on a long journey and I think that's when I ended up with a cracked block.

So, all I can advise is to get it double-checked by another garage I'd say before you go for it. Even get it into a dealership for a LOOK ONLY (no fixey at those prices!).

Don't get discouraged by all these parts replaced, a friend of mine spent 2500 on a auto gearbox repair only on a jeep grand Cherokee... Another friend of mine bought a 2011 "good car" what he believed, after only three months he had to replace the flywheel...

A new car is no different than an old car, the only difference you get is some warranty, but when things go wrong the seller will try to blame the driver not the car...

Plus these cars are to comfy not to be fixed, and eventually you will have a car half new. ;)