Vehicle Lifespan, Mileage

Rich44

Question

Hi

Got the chance of picking up a 2006 Grand Voyager in lovely condition lots of history and MOT until 2018 theres not even many advisories on the recent Mot's so it looks like it's been well loved.

It's the 2.8 diesel auto the only downside is its done 195,000 miles so my real question is should that scare me off? I can get it for about £1000 so not talking megabucks.

How long do these things tend to last before things like autoboxes die?

Any advice gratefully received especially stuff to look for before buying.

4 answers to this question

Hi Rich, personally, I wouldn't let 195k put me off buying it, as it's cheap enough.

See if you can check when the timing belt was last done, and if the autobox has had a service. If not/can't see it's definately been done, I'd still buy it but get the timing belt done ASAP. 
After that, as long as it's all working fine, and your happy with the condition, I'd jump at it.

There's a few little faults reared their heads through this forum and the one with the same address but .com on the end, but a lot of them are easy, cheap fixes. 

Thanks very much, looked at it and it set off alarm bells.  Vehicle was SORN but on the road nowhere near sellers house and when got there it was a dog rust patches all over, flat tyre and been SORN since December so suspect it's a trader pretending to be private etc.

Anyway we were out anyway and decided to travel a bit further and found what looks like a peach and we've bought it collecting Friday.

2005 Grand Voyager 2.8 auto, limited.  133,000 miles full history, cambelt was changed at 125,000 and it's the stow and go model. £1500 only downside is a nasty smack on one wing which meh I can live with.

So thanks for the advice fingers crossed it works out for the best now.