Thinking Of Buying A Gv, It'll Be My Third....

mrtibbs

Morning all.

I have just joined this forum as I am considering buying a Grand Voyager, somewhere around an 05 - 07 year.

I am a sixty year old engineer, ex RN and not retired yet but working on it :) 

I currently own a 55 reg Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I have owned for over 6 years and I love it. Our lifestyle has changed and we now need a large vehicle but I don't want to get a van. I have owned 2 previous models of GV, the first was a 99 V6 petrol and the second an 02 petrol. I liked them both which is why I am seriosly considering buying another one to replace my Jeep.

This time I am considering getting the diesel engined version, a 2.8 four pot (first four pot that I will have owned since 1998...) but I know nothing about them. I have not really driven one and I would like some advice please. What are the weaknesses that I need to be aware of and look out for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith

Hello Keith, welcome to the forum.

I bought a 2.8 this year having previously owned the 2.5. 

There's a few things you might be aware of already due to having the petrol version.

On my 2.5, the timing belt went, so make sure that has been done or get it done.

If you can smell exhaust fumes/fuel inside the cabin with the blower on, chances are there's an injector leaking. The injectors can be really hard to get out.

Another issue can be the fuel filter housing. It can crack, draw air, leak into the connector and cause that to short out. A symptom of this is the engine cutting out, requiring you to pull over and restart the car.

The good news is, between here and chryslerforum.com, most things have been covered before.