Alternator, Idler And Tensioner (2.5 Crd) - Where To Buy?

Argee

Question

My 2003 2.5 CRD Grand Voyager has been a little grumbly when running.  I suspected auxiliary drive belt items.

Today I took off the belt and removed my alternator and checked the idler and tensioner.

The decoupler on the Alternator squeeks when it is 'decoupling' - so I think that needs changing (special tool purchase required for that) and the bearings probably need replacing too.

The Idler bearing has gone. It runs freely but there is a lot of play and it sounds dry - so that needs replacing.

The tensioner seems to be okay, but I wonder if I should replace that as it's accessible at the moment.

Although some of the Alternators online are frighteningly expensive, there are some that are almost reasonable.  I'm thinking that getting one of these will be cheaper and quicker than buying a decoupler, tool and replacement bearings - any thoughts?

The price of the idler and tensioner seem pretty high for what they are - does anyone know of a good website/place to buy these from?  Has anyone replaced the bearings in an idler or tensioner?

As always, any advice gratefully received. 

1 answer to this question

I got a 160 amp alternator for the 3.3 petrol from West Lancs Auto Electrics last year. Around £140.00, which was not as cheap as some, but was fairly local to me if it went tits up!!

It was on an exchange basis. They include the return courier service in the price. Absolutely first class experience from them for me.

Check their website - you fill in the enquiry form, they email you a quote, anf then either phone them or order it online, I phoned them up, very good to speak to and know their stuff.

And they are open Sundays - give them a try today! I'd be intersted to see if tehy are still as good.

Can't suggest bearings for the diesel, my idler pulley ended up coming from the States! The tensioner assembly was from my local autofactors.

Edited by bignev