Veba Dvd Player

Dreamer

Question

Hi all, just purchased a 2004 GV which seems clean and tidy in most respects. I've since discovered that the DVD player doesn't load the discs. I thinking is a retro fit and is made by a company called "VEBA". I've tried to source another before I start taking this one apart but to no avail.

Any ideas where I can get a reasonable replacement?

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

If it doesn't pull the disc in there are a few ways you can check it, as it's quite a common problem with slot loading players (I personally hate slot loaders, they aren't very reliable and also can damage discs, but then that's me!).

The first is that it's receiving power, check for any power/activity lights just to make sure it has a power feed and hasn't completely failed.

Then the next parts are taking it out (Simple video if you need it of removing the radio I did: https://youtu.be/2EOFTPtBvuo)and opening the casing of the DVD unit up. Normally outer metal/plastic casing will then let you see the metal cage that has the main slot load mechanism.

Two key parts you need to look into, the first is the sensor that detects you've pushed the disc in and starts the mechanism. This will be a mini microswitch, normally located at one of the sides of the slot and will have a curved edge so the disc slides past it when the mechanism pulls the disc in. Check that it's not jammed and moves freely, if you have a multimeter check that it's contacts close/open correctly when you push a disc in.

Secondly you can check the motor and mechanism. Over time the motor gets weaker and fails, or you find something jamming the mechanism. This one is tricky to do, but ideally, have the unit powered up and gently slide a disc in, as it slides in, help it gently with a screwdriver (Careful, don't get fingers in the way as they like to snap at them!) and if it works and loads then chances are the motor has become weak and needs replacing. If you get no assistance from the motor at all then it's sounding more electrical than mechanical failure.

Good luck, and yep take photos of the rear and front of the unit to give us all a clue and we'll try to help further.

Edited by andyb2000